Diatoms in 2 year old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I gave a 30 gallon tank with one big convict, i adopted the tank after my nephew refused to take care of it of 2 years ago i took control of it, it had cheap national geographic sand substrate, fake decor, I am going to redo it soon with rocks and drift wood maybe cichlid substrate from Caribsea, but nothing I do gets rid of the diatoms, I do 30% weekly on that tank, but I was just curious if it could be the very old t8 bulb?

Same sand bed?
Yes I haven't changed anything I was thinking there's a lot of silicates in that sand but I'm Not sure, I was thinking it was the t8 with a reflector as that fish cannot stand to have the light off so I only turn the light off during the day when there's ambient light from the house.

I'd tear it down and start anew.
Like replace the substrate and do what I was already going to do with driftwood and river rock? I just didn't want to have to remove him and I will have to if I do gravel, does sand substrate hold live bacteria? I mean it probably won't affect my cycle as I have a modded Marineland and a aquaclear 50 running on the tank but I want to be sure
And get a non plant t8

Yes, that substrate is probably holding all types of crap you'll never be able to rid the tanl.of with out complete removal. Just drain the tank water into a bucket, hang the aqua clear 50 on side and leave him in there for a few hours while you over haul the tank. He'll be fine

Yes, that substrate is probably holding all types of crap you'll never be able to rid the tanl.of with out complete removal. Just drain the tank water into a bucket, hang the aqua clear 50 on side and leave him in there for a few hours while you over haul the tank. He'll be fine
OK brookster I have a 15 gallon Tupperware tote also 2 20 gallons not in use i just dint want to stress him out he's about 5.5 years old

Hmm. Maybe set aside aside half the tank water to add back so it's not a major fresh water shock. I guess when they've acclimated to certain conditions, high nitrate and such, sudden change can be a bad thing, even if it's fresh clean water.

Hmm. Maybe set aside aside half the tank water to add back so it's not a major fresh water shock. I guess when they've acclimated to certain conditions, high nitrate and such, sudden change can be a bad thing, even if it's fresh clean water.
I was going to put all the water I take out back in the tank, fill the 20 gallon up and put him In that Tank , put the rest in a bucket or it would just be like doing a 10 gallon water Change or do you think that would still be to stressful?

diatoms

Are there any real solutions to getting rid of diatoms or brown algae? Nobody posted any real solutions.

I have a 1 year old tank and some of the leaves have a build up of brown algae. Is there anyway to clear it out? It's only on some of the leaves!

thanks,
erik

Manual removal, maintaining a clean, balanced tank. They usually disappear with time.

Back
Top Bottom