Diatoms or Blackbeard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409607566.376105.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409607675.748723.jpg
I'm not sure which algae it is. It's pretty well set in. My lights run 7 hours a day with a 4 hour split. I don't dose liquid but have root tabs. Since the root tabs I've noticed the algae to be more prominent in the tank. It doesn't just come off with my fingers or when I siphon.

The hygro doesn't look that bad. I've just trimmed it back completely because the growth is crazy. Trying to give lower leaves more light.

Looks like diatoms in tje picture.is it hairy or just brown stuff growing? If your running your lights tjat long tjen you need to cut them back. Mine are on for 4 off for 4. If you want to run them longer tjan you should keep them off longer.

Ok thanks I was leaning towards diatoms. It looks hairy in places like where there is more exposure to the light so maybe both?
I thought running for 7 hours was normal with a split in the middle?

Maybe 7 hours out of 24 hours. Bit if your having algea issues I'd trim it back and start dosing small amount of ferts. Excel will help a lot with algea

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I may start dosing excel then. Was for two months but got to expensive to maintain. I'm 17 looking for a job and my parents are only just tolerating my obsession.
Might consider a diy co2 system, I know how it all works and have it running in another tank but not this one yet.

Back
Top Bottom