did I buy bad snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 3 Apple snails today, the one on the left opened up and started moving as soon as I out it in the tank. (its the one on the driftwood) The other two have not. moved. (the two laying on the sand) Is it possible they are sickly? When I touch them they retract in for a few seconds. I tried turning the lights out for a little while but they still didn't move.

View attachment 55907

They should be fine, but it's probably just the new environment. They will move more at night until they are comfortable in you tank!

Do you know if they're Pomacea Canas or Pomacea Brigesiis? If they're Canas, they will eat your plants. I had to buy a new tank for mine because I got sold Canas and they were eating all my plants.

I don't know. I bought these from the same store I bought from years ago and they never bothered my plants. Is there a way to tell?

My snails did the same thing, they really like alge waffers. Since they got used to the tank they are all over the place. I have five of them.

Yes they are moving about now, which is a relief, because two of them are going in my kids betta tanks.

I tried one of my snails in my 5.5gal betta tank. I removed it as the betta, (male) kept nipping at it.

molly100a said:
I tried one of my snails in my 5.5gal betta tank. I removed it as the betta, (male) kept nipping at it.

My bettas are female and these Apple snails are pretty big so they should be ok. I could always take them out if the bettas harass them.

Yes they are moving about now, which is a relief, because two of them are going in my kids betta tanks.

My bettas are female and these Apple snails are pretty big so they should be ok. I could always take them out if the bettas harass them.

After introducing the Mystery Snails, it would be a good idea to sit down with your favorite beverage and watch them for at least 30 minutes to see if the bettas harass or nip the Mystery Snails.

Every betta has a different personality and temperment, and although females may generally be less agressive than males, some are not. Bettas are nippers and hunting carnivores, and your bettas may view the large, long, fully exposed, waving antena of Mystery Snails as tasty treats. It seems that many bettas do. My betta did.

Also, my Mystery Snails (pomacea difusa/bridgesii) were much larger around than a quarter dollar coin and I hoped maybe their large size and outweighing my betta would make my betta hesitant to be agressive towards them. It didn't.

So that's a good idea to stand by and watch, and remove the snails if needed.

Back
Top Bottom