Did I cause a mini cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicksta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here I am again.. Reading furiously, furrowing my brow, trying to work out what I have done this time.

Here are my current levels

PH 7.6 (It has always been on the high side, I use well water)
Ammonia .25
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 40

I am battling algae, I recently gave my tank a good clean. Wiped all the algae off the walls, washed all the fake plants on my last 25% PWC, can not remember what day, but it was last week. I have noticed my water has been looking a little dingy, not cloudy, but not as clear as normal, hence me testing the water.

Came to do my PWC and those numbers are AFTER the change. I know I should have done them before for a proper reading, but after seeing those numbers I may have fainted if I had done them before.

I have not checked my levels in about three weeks as everything seemed to be going smooth, test results were always the same. I was also doing PWC weekly.

This is the first time I have ever had Ammonia levels in my tank.

I am going to do another PWC either later this evening or first thing in the morning.

My fish seem to be doing ok.

Have I cause a mini cycle by removing the 'good stuff' off the walls and plants?

I don't know if that did it or not but it's a possibility when you remove too much bb it can cause a mini cycle. Did you change your filter material at the time you cleaned? I caused a mini cycle once when i added too many fish in too short time. I did a 20% water change every day for over a week before it came down. I also deep cleaned 1/4 of my gravel every week. You must put the wand deep into the gravel to remove the gunk that's under there. That can cause an ammonia reading. Good luck. Maybe someone else has an idea.

I actually did not change anything in my filter this time, I did clean out the gravel like normal. Grabbed the obvious gunk lying around and some that was in the gravel although that was minimal.

Well i think you've got the right idea with the water changes and test your water in the morning and evening and do a change if you get an ammonia reading. Some days i had to do 2 changes. It's a pain but it will come back to zero eventually. :)

If you are battling algae, and using fake plants, cut back on your lighting period. The fish don't need the lights on for long periods.
If your nitrate level is at 40 after a water change, you need to do larger ones. The next change should be 50% or more to bring it below 20.

Vicksta said:
I actually did not change anything in my filter this time, I did clean out the gravel like normal. Grabbed the obvious gunk lying around and some that was in the gravel although that was minimal.

I don't think that you caused a mini cycle... IMO your faucet water maybe came with a little ammonia... But if you added Prime or another dechlorinator you should be fine....

Appreciate the advice. I have only turned the light on for feeding time recently(Half hour at the most). The guys know, if the light is on it is food time.

I think the algae issues have somthing to do with the placement of the tank close to my patio door, too much sun light. Rather than excessive hood lighting. I was actually in the process of researching a total black out for the tank as well as some rather inventive exterior tank decor to help with that issue.

I will be doing PWC until levels are back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom