Did I do something stupid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read an article today that sais to have no more than 1/4" of gravel, my 10g tank probably had 1" of gravel, and the ammonia has been out of control, so I cleaned the gravel, and noticed there was just so much crap in there, so I removed ALOT of the gravel, re vacuumed, pretty much stated over water wise did a 50, then a 50, then a 50.

Did I do something dumb or smart?

I have a lot of gravel in my 75g no problems there, but should I take the sane measures? Should I put all the gravel back?

Do I need to take the rocks out of my Betta bowl too?

Thicker substrate is only a problem if it isn't routinely, as in weekly, cleaned and then detris builds up, as you found out, and water quality issues can arise. So if you keep your gravel vacuumed you shouldn't have any issues. I've been keeping fish for over 30 years and have never had issues.

It really doesn't matter how much gravel you have; some people don't use any. Most of you beneficial bacteria is in your filter. What's your stock? And is it fully cycled?

Ok that makes me feel better, I ended up taking some out of the 75g it's just easier to maintain with less. I have noticed when I do my weekly vacs, it kicks up so much crap I end up either sifting through with a net for a long time, or revacuuming.

Before you say anything, my 10g is overstocked. I understand this means more work for me, but it's manageable. I have a dwarf gourami, a powder blue gourami, 2 red wag platys, 2 marigold variatus platys, a glo tetra, 2 glo danios, a swordtail rainbow platy, and a cherry barb.

One thing you can do is to vacuum 1/2 the tank extremely well one week & then other 1/2 the next week. Its easier for some people to do it this way.

Watch your two dwarf gourami's for aggression especially in a smaller tank. They can get along fine for a long time then something sets one of them off and the war is on. Just wanted you to know so you can watch for it.

Cool thanks, I have noticed, but I also put in a lot of hiding places that the dwarf is too big to get in, but the little fish can.

Back
Top Bottom