Did I hurt my pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishKeeper97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a pleco from a friend and after he was acclimated I was moving him into the new tank. But he was scared and I didn’t know how to scoop him with my net. I managed to eventually. But part him got stuck in the net. I managed to free him one stuck spot at a time by very very gently shaking the net. He’s hiding behind one rock. I hope I didn’t hurt him.

How is he doing now?
Probably was just a little scared from the whole situation. Plecos usually kind of like to hide. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'd hate to tell you how many fish I have dropped on the floor or had leap from the tank onto the floor. Just some of the many incidents of regret that will be played in the movie of highlights from my life when I die.

Seriously, I am amazed at how well fish can survive such things. Just follow this forum for awhile, and you will read amazing stories of fish found dried up like mummies behind the tank, who magically reconstitute themselves and carry on with their lives when returned to the water, as though nothing had ever happened.

If lore teaches us that cats have nine lives and can gracefully right themselves while falling from balconies, well, then, fishes have ten and probably do a triple somersault as they are falling.

But since I am being tongue-in-cheek, the worst may actually have happened. If so, I am sorry. I hope your pleco is okay.

My pleco also got stuck in the net while moving him to a bigger tank and his fin broke at the tip. I freaked out! But after researching I learned that they are pretty tough creatures. All I did was kept the water super clean and added a med daily. I think stress coat but can't remember. Just wait until he comes out and make sure he is okay, then treat if needed. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom