Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2002, 01:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

did my dwarf african frog eat my sunset gourami eggs?

I have very recently (3 months) got a new 40 litre aquarium I look after it very well and my male sunset gourami had started making a bubble nest. The male playfully chased the female and they surely enough mated as once she was full of eggs and the next day she wasn't. They had also embraced before but I, thinking they were fighting, broke them up. Anyway, she obviously had spawned her eggs and they were nowhere to be seen and my dwarf african frog was in the bubble nest looking suspicious. Had he eaten the eggs and will the gouramis try to mate again? Please HELP!

Old 12-06-2002, 03:14 PM   #2

Re: did my dwarf african frog eat my sunset gourami eggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills40litreaquarium
they were nowhere to be seen and my dwarf african frog was in the bubble nest looking suspicious. :
Well, I've never kept a frog, and the only gouramis i ever had were years ago and they never spawned, but here's the deal.

In nature, any kind of eggs are free protien and just about any creature that can eat them, will do so. So yeah, I'd bet your frog ate them.

On the other side of things, if your gouramis spawned once, they probably will again. I dunno how long it takes before they'd be ready to go again, but if you start seeing signs of bubble nesting, get that froggy outta there! Get anybody else out who could eat the eggs too!

Better yet, maybe you could set up a breeding tank just for the gourami's?

Tags
african, african frog, dwarf, eat, egg, eggs, frog, gourami, sunset

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com