Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Psyhampster Send a message via Yahoo to Psyhampster
Different Cories and Max Additions

1. Will different types of cories school together? There are a few types that caught my eye at the LFS, but I'd rather give 1 species a good school then 3 unhappy, small schools.

2. What would you say is the largest number of fish to add to a tank at once? I'm thinking its about 3-4, but thats just me.

https://www.aquarank.com/images/users/1.gif Vote For Us!

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Psyhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no idea about the different types schooling, but if it were me I'd go with 1 specie to be sure.

And the maximum number to be added at once? Offcourse it depends on the size of the fish you are adding and the size of your tank. But if you were to add maybe 5 corys to your 20 or 30 gal you would have no problem in terms of creating too much new bioload. The current amount of bacteria should be able to handle it and grow without going through a mini-cycle.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard that cories really prefer to be in a school with their own species. I've also had people tell me that different schools of cories stay separated for the most part and only mix on occasion. I think it would be better to pick a single type of cory.

As for additions, it really depends on the type of fish. Cories are relatively small and do not add very much to the bioload. I think you could add 6-10 without a problem in the 30 gallon, but I'd suggest that you do a water change and gravel vac twice in that first week or two. To keep it simple, adding 5 or 6 cories should be fine. The larger the group, the happier they are.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, thanks!
What do you think of adding 2 Glass Cats and 3 Cories to the 30?

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Old 01-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can even go with 5 cories if you want. They are really more of a bottom dweller. I've heard that glass cats need to be in groups of three or more. They are another one of those schooling fish that do better in larger groups. Okay, just read your fish list on the 30 gallon, you'll be fine. I'd add some hatchets though to keep your marbel hatchet company as well. HTH!!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, we went out and got 5 C. Paleatus, Peppered Cories. One of them didn't look to great in the bag, we'll see what happens when we realese them. I know I need friends for the Cat and Hatchet, but that LFS had neither, and I haven't seen Hatchets forever.

20 gal FW
----------

30 gal FW
--------

Old 01-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeh, they are rare down here. Good luck with the cories, I've been eyeing a nice little school of peppered cories at my LFS as well.

Tags
cories

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com