Dilema of massive proportions!!! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been planning to get a ~30gal tank to restart my obsession. This seems reasonable to me. I had a 20 so I know about how big it is. I bought the 20 new but I thought I'd look at craigslist and see what there was. There are 20s and 30s floating around. There are also 75s, 95s, and 100+ and relatively cheap too.

So now I'm really jonesing after that 75gal but I really don't have a mental concept of how big that is. I suspect I'm at that dangerous level of newbie...I know precisely enough to get myself in over my head.

Are there major differences that might surprise me? I know I'd have to do multiple heaters and filters.

Thoughts?

btw, I've been babbling so much that my bf now knows what MTS means :oops:

A 75 is not an unreasable size. It is big enough to keep a wide variety of fish, yet not that big that weight and sheer volume of water become an overwhelming chore. A python will make water changes painless and a well built dwelling will have no problem with the weight of the tank and stand. The larger tank you can afford the more stable your system will be.

A good cannister filter and heater is all that is needed to run a 75. Lights are nice though and I usually include them on the needed list. Obviously you will need larger amounts of gravel etc. So the expenses will add up.

With that size tank, if the tank does not come with a stand plan on purchasing one, you dont want to fool around with putting that size tank on a random peice of furniture.

can your floor suport a 75, they are about 900 lb when full of water.. 4 feet long...
one good heater and canister filter will be enough IMO

I'm currently living in 50's remnant apartments: concrete floors and lead paint :lol: I can't garuntee that's always going to be the case though, so that's another consideration. I was figuring that I would have to buy a stand for it. I might be better off succumbing to MTS and get two 30s or so.

Side question though: if the floor is concrete, would it probably be ok on a second floor? ...a lot of the lofts I'm looking at are like that.

It will be fine. The weight is spread across about 8 square feet. Same as 4 big guys standing in a row. The biggest concern is a good steady stand.

So after all the considering it looks like I'm picking up a 55 that's been listed locally. Complete with filter, air pump, bubble wand, hood, lights, stand.....and fish. There's two rainbow fish, a handful of various types of tetra, what's probably a common pleco and an 'african dwarf frog' which I suspect might actually be an african clawed frog.

if it is a clawed frog I'm going to have to find a home for it since it can't stay in there with the tetras. I'm also not keen on the pleco but all in all I'm really excited. :)

Too bad...the 75 has a similar footprint just 3" wider. :wink: However, a 55 is also a good choice over anything smaller than that.

If the pleco is not a common and turns out to be a dwarf species, no need to remove him. They do very well with keeping a tank of that size clean on the lower levels.

I also agree with your decision about the frog considering the pleco.

apparently the pleco is already about 7" so I think it probably is a common....but I haven't had a chance to get a look at it yet. I'll report back Sunday after I bring it home....provided things don't fall through. ;)

EDIT:
Hurrah! I am once again a fish mommy :-D I'm so happy I'm darn giddy. My bf surprised me and arranged to get the tank a day early. :lol:

So it is almost definitly a common pleco and it's almost 8 inches if I had to guess so I'm definitely going to have to find a home for him....any one want a pleco?

I also have:
2 rainbow fish
3 harlequin rasboras
1 diamond(?) tetra
1 somethingelse tetra (I'll try to get a picture of him for id-ing)
1 actually may be an african dwarf frog

So now I have questions.
1. Is the dwarf frog ok in there or should I put him up for adoption too?
2. I'm going to keep the rasboras and get them a few more so they can properly school. Do diamond tetras school? Do all tetras school? Because if so I should probably get rid of one or both so they can be properly happy.

Pretty soon I'm going to have to pull apart the tank and change the substrate and when I do I should probably look at resealing it. bleh.

eeeeeeee! I have a tank!!

So now that it's morning and the pleco is holding still for me to get a good look at it...the guys at least 10" and the poor thing can barely turn about in the tank.

Yeah I need to call them. I'm sure one of the three will take him. I'm also going to take in the frog and the black neon tetra and get three more rasboras and 3 diamond tetras to fill out the schools and maybe a bristelenose.

Back
Top Bottom