Dinosaur Bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mudfrog said:
Drop pellets in with when you turn the lights off. They smell better than they see. Get them accustomed to eating from the same spot each time (preferably away from where the rest of the fish eat). Before long they will rush to that spot as soon as they smell food.

Glad to see another keeper of Polypterus around here :D

I've kept 5 different Polypterus species, and have been keeping them for around 10 years also (not all at the same time mind you).

I fed mine Hikari Sinking Pellets and also NLS Pellets (had to break them as they were a little big). I only sometimes gave them feeders, and that's because what's the point of keeping a predatory fish if you don't get to watch its behavior? Right?

They are not exactly a Labyrinth fish by classification but they do function very similarly. Labyrinth fish have a special organ called a labyrinth to use surface air. Polypterus, instead, have a specialized swim bladder that allows them to breath air. They both have the same purpose, allow a fish to survive in low oxygen situations.

I also agree, I've had my Polypterus Senegalus (Dinosaur Eel <- Please don't call them that :() for years and it maxed out at around 8 inches. He shot up to 6 inches in a matter of months but then slowly grew after that. Same with my other Polypterus species, fast growth initially followed by slow growth.

Which Bichirs did you keep? I had a couple nice wild caught Delhezi's and Buttikoferi's from Toyin. I miss those guys.

Glad to see another keeper of Polypterus around here :D

I've kept 5 different Polypterus species, and have been keeping them for around 10 years also (not all at the same time mind you).

I fed mine Hikari Sinking Pellets and also NLS Pellets (had to break them as they were a little big). I only sometimes gave them feeders, and that's because what's the point of keeping a predatory fish if you don't get to watch its behavior? Right?

They are not exactly a Labyrinth fish by classification but they do function very similarly. Labyrinth fish have a special organ called a labyrinth to use surface air. Polypterus, instead, have a specialized swim bladder that allows them to breath air. They both have the same purpose, allow a fish to survive in low oxygen situations.

I also agree, I've had my Polypterus Senegalus (Dinosaur Eel <- Please don't call them that :() for years and it maxed out at around 8 inches. He shot up to 6 inches in a matter of months but then slowly grew after that. Same with my other Polypterus species, fast growth initially followed by slow growth.

Mudfrog said:
Which Bichirs did you keep? I had a couple nice wild caught Delhezi's and Buttikoferi's from Toyin. I miss those guys.

You got some from Toyin too? Haha I've kept a few Delhezi (my favorite, I just think the black bars are stunning), Senegalus, Ornatapinnus, Endilecheri (sorry, spelling these off the top of my head) and the rare Teugelsi. I loved him. Got to be around 14 inches long with beautiful orange head and cris-cross pattern.

darby said:
i have a dinosaur bichir myself, and i know that they are a nocturnal fish. and they won't eat a fish that is bigger than their mouth. i haven't had any problems with mine, and he is about 4"-5" long.

My dinosaur bichir ate a 3" BGK. He's only 4". So personal experience is they WILL eat a fish bigger than their mouth. Not saying your wrong just saying my personal experience was different.

I put feeder guppies in with my Bichir and he didn't touch them.

Let's resign to say that different fish can and will give different experiences. Some individual fish have a mean streak whilst some are docile.

As a general rule though, try not to house them with fish that can fit inside their mouth. It's most likely going to end up there. As you experience more who your Bichir ends up being, you can adjust tank mates accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom