Dinosaur eel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Came home with me today from petsmart and I think it may have been a bad decision. From everything I have read on these guys it may start taking out my cories when it gets bigger?? Anyone have any info or advice on these guys? I am really just worried for my cories. The other tank makes (a few angels and a gourami) can def fend for themselves...

I love these! I had one when i was younger not knowing what it was. I has him with a catfish, crab and tiger barb. He didn't bother anyone.

Edit: online says it will kill everything but mine was very calm and stayed in his cave. Only time he would come out would be to grab a pellet.

Well this guy is almost 2 inches and he is out everywhere!! He hasn't chased or attacked anyone yet. Just the bloodworms. I'm just afraid when he gets bigger he will...it said up to 12 inches?? And do they usually start with the aggression early on or do they mature into it?

That makes me feel better. I got him for my husband who wanted a "man" fish. I'm alittle scared for my cories:/ but my luck it will end up like 20+!!! I have bad juju like that;)

Mine used to grab pellets out of my hand and let me pet him. I had really good luck when it came to fish when i didn't know what went good together. I had combo's that would leave many hobbyists up at night lol. I have learned alot.

Lol!! Yeah I know what u mean!! I just hate to take the little guy back but I hate the thought of trying to catch all my cories and plop them in my other two tanks more!! I guess we will give it a week and see how it goes. I am just a spaz...;)

It's a Senegal bichir. They are great fish. I doubt even a full grown one could eat full grown Cory's. That being said it will in fact eat anything it can catch and fits in its mouth.

I had one for a year and a half, he only reached about 9" and was as round as a quarter.

So you all think he will be ok to not eat my cories?? I had nightmares last night that he took out all of them!!!

I have three line cories that aren't that big too... I didn't think they got that big?? I can move them to one of my other tanks if need be though...

Dinosaur Eel. That is a Polypterus Senegalus or Senegal Bichir. In the aquaria they really don't get too much bigger than 8 inches. I have a lot of experience with Polypterus. Kept em for years.

They are relatively fast growers. Mine killed my Panda Corydoras. I personally wouldn't keep them in there with community fish. Even if the whole fish doesn't fit in their mouth, they can have the potential to nip at them. At the time, my Pandas would wind up with missing tails then die.

Great fish, but I personally wouldn't keep them in a community tank unless they're with larger tank mates.

I guess I can trade him at my lfs if he starts?? Are there any that don't try to eat? Or is it like all semi-aggressives that they may or may not? He just cruises around right now. He hasn't shown any interest in anyone else. My albino and peppered cories are all bigger almost two inches and fat! It's just my three lined that I'm worried bout. May put them in my twenty. There is just a betta in there. He will enjoy the company:)

hcourts said:
I guess I can trade him at my lfs if he starts?? Are there any that don't try to eat? Or is it like all semi-aggressives that they may or may not? He just cruises around right now. He hasn't shown any interest in anyone else. My albino and peppered cories are all bigger almost two inches and fat! It's just my three lined that I'm worried bout. May put them in my twenty. There is just a betta in there. He will enjoy the company:)

I'm sure a LFS can take him in. I've had to do that when I moved. Still miss my Polypterus Delhezi :( :( It really depends on temperament and age. Bichirs can be very accommodating when young but less so as they age. I just worry about fin nipping from him on your Corydoras. They might be fine because Polypterus and Corydoras are both nocturnal. Polypterus will get their meals when fish are taking a nap on the bottom. Hopes this helps!

Yeah predfan. I worry about that too:/ I don't plan on adding anything else to that tank so hopefully with him being the last critter in he will not look at them as food. The cories have been in there for a while and as my Pleco is kinda possessive of the wafers they give it right back to him and don't take his crap;) we shall see...I hope it works out cause my husband was REALLy excited...;)

What are you feeding in your tank plus what are the inhabitants? I'm wondering because Polypterus are slower moving, and if other fish eat the food. They will resort to eating other fish.

When I had my Bichir only tank (Senegal, Delhezi, and Teugelsi). I fed them New Life Spectrum Mega Fish Pellets and Hikari Sinking Pellets. Look up a Teugelsi, bet your husband will like him :)

Does it get huge and eat my other fish ?? I have the shrimp pellets and I give bloodworms and tubifex worms. I had fed him blood worms last night bc I didn't see him get a shrimp pellet and he ate a bunch! I did see him grab a shrimp pellet this morning though...my angels seriously love some worms. I had to occupy them in the other part of the tank;)

hcourts said:
Does it get huge and eat my other fish ?? I have the shrimp pellets and I give bloodworms and tubifex worms. I had fed him blood worms last night bc I didn't see him get a shrimp pellet and he ate a bunch! I did see him grab a shrimp pellet this morning though...my angels seriously love some worms. I had to occupy them in the other part of the tank;)

Senegals get about 8-9 inches max in the aquarium. The Tuegelsi that I had was around 14.

Yeah, make sure he is well fed and hopefully that will reduce the risk of the Senegal nipping it's tank mates!

Back
Top Bottom