Directing flow through vinyl tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my UV sterilizer hooked inline with a canister filter but the only way it would work under my stand was to have to cross the inlet and outlet tubes from the canister. It's hard to explain but because of the way it has to be setup the vinyl tubing going from the outlet of the canister to the inlet of the uv sterilizer has to make a sharp 180 and it causes the tube to kink. Water is still flowing through but not at a good rate, I can barely tell water is coming out of the outlet in the tank. I've remedied this for now by being ghetto and taping the tube at an angle that keeps the kink minimal, however I was wondering if I could cut the tube, run the water through some pvc and elbow joints to make the turn, and then into the inlet of the UV or would the elbow joints cause any issues with the water flow?

Here are a couple of pictures to show what I mean.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423113490.794570.jpg So this is how it is now, ghetto rigged with tape.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423113515.610882.jpg Here's a sketch of the whole setup. The highlighted section is where the kink occurs and where I'd like to cut the hose and run it through PVC and 90 degree elbows to make the turn.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Why not shorten the hose, turn the sterilizer to face the other direction, and move the output to the other side of the tank?

I have a spray bar across the entire length of the rest of the tank that won't allow me to move the outlet. I thought about doing that and trying to push the spraybar down but due to how the back of the stand is I wouldn't be able to move the spraybar down any further to make room for the outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ahh, I gotcha. I remember that spray bar now.

Yes, you can use pvc for the return, thats actually how my return is set up for my saltwater tank, although my return goes through a hole in the bottom of the tank.

Just try to keep the number of elbows down as they will decrease the flow.

You can use standard pvc cement, just be sure to give it time to cure and rinse it out well.

Back
Top Bottom