Dirted Tank Vs. Eco-Complete: Pros and Cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm getting ready to set up another tank. This one is just a 55, but I plan on *hopefully* doing densely planted. I'm going back and forth between a dirted tank and eco-complete substrate.

My question for all y'all out there: Which one do you like better, and why?
I would love tons of feedback on this!!!

there's a guy on ebay selling 20lb bags of eco-complete for 25 bucks with free shipping... but dirt is well, dirt cheap. What do you think?

I told you my opinion on another post but I wanted to add that its easier to siphon debris from eco. Maybe if I had capped with something other than sand I would like it better.

Thanks brennae! I was hoping to get a slurry of pros and cons from everyone, but the forums seem a little slow tonight!!! haha. and I was leaning towards eco because I had heard that it was easier to siphon, so I was wondering if anyone else has done the same. My gravel always seems to collect the debris, and with an acrylic aquarium, I don't want to have to move as much gravel around and probably scratch the inside of the tank.

This is true! Its slow and the acrylic will scratch easy. I think I bought my eco from the same ebay seller. You can also get it cheap off amazon if you have prime. I think its easier to plant in the eco than the sand. sand you really have to push the plant roots all the way down to the dirt (if you cap with sand like I did). I do wonder what dirt capped with eco would be like. If you do dirt what were you going to cap with?

If I capped it, I would just do sand. But I was thinking of leaving it uncapped. Can you do that?

If you leave it uncapped the dirt will float up and make your water really cloudy and yellowish. That's the problem I have now. The sand is getting stirred up and the dirt is coming through. That's why I don't like it.

Oh no you don't need to cap eco. sorry I got confused. I think it looks quite nice actually. I use the black. It really makes the plants and fish stand out.

Back
Top Bottom