dirty sand please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello i have my first 55 gal coming tommorow and im putting sand in it, so im trying to clean it today.
Im TRYING to clean 6kg's of sand at a time but its going nowhere i have 25kg's of the stuff to wash.
At the moment im filling a bucket half full with sand then filling with water and giving it a good mix around, then i let it settle and pour away the dirty water and repeat. only thing is i cant even get my first bucket clean let alone the 10 i have.
does anyone have any tips please help

so i fill a massive bucket put a hose in and the **** falls out the top leaving clean sand in bottom?

tmdavies said:
how long do you do the pillow case under the shower for?

Depends on how much sand is in the pillow case and if it's the top of the bag or bottom. Top sand cleans out in 10 minutes or so (not a lot of dust), bottom of the bag takes 20+ minutes because the fine dust settle to the bottom of the bag.

what about if i cover my bath with a bed sheet then pour all the sand in the bed sheet and use the shower head?

tmdavies said:
what about if i cover my bath with a bed sheet then pour all the sand in the bed sheet and use the shower head?

Are you thinking laying the sheet out, pour sand and then pulling the corners together to make a bag of sorts, then rinsing thru the sheet? Something like that should work I guess, just becareful that not too much goes down the drain would be my only concern. That and if you go to lift the sheet up with lots of wet sand "bagged up", that it might tear.

tried drookies bucket way and it works fine should have just done that in the first place lol

I used river crystal sand from my lfs and it was pretty clean to begin with one or two rinses and it was good to go for my 55g. It was best money ever spent

Back
Top Bottom