Dirty turtle tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jb489

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I have 2 turtles in my aquarium, which is 80cm x 40cm x 30cm. 96 litres in all. I have a filter that can change 300litres every hour. Yet my tank is filthy, its been 3 days and it smells like someone died in it. What can i do ? :(

Well, is there anything else in the tank besides the turtles? If you do i would start looking to see if anything died. Have you done a water change or vacumed the gravell or anything. Could be decaying things in the gravel.

How big are your turtles?

I'm new to fish, but turtles? I've had some big ones, and get the biggest aquarium possible - not depth, per se, but surface area. My 4' by 5' aquarium was small for a 10" carapace snapper.

Etunes is right,25 gallons will not hold a turtle even the smallest of turtles need a bigger tank than that.Do you have live plants?I am against keeping turtles so I don't know that much about the tank issue

I agree. Turtles are pretty messy, so not only do you want a large space for them, you want alot of water volume as well. Consider changing out water every few days for now until you can get something bigger for them.

What kind of turtles do you have?

Hi all,

thanks for your replies, as for other stuff in the tank, all i have is a rock formation in order to allow them to stay out of the water underneath the light. No other animals, no plants, just gravel. The food im giving them doesnt smell nice, but i imagine its ok for turtle food, smells of a concoction of fish and stuff. I am actually thinking the filter isnt working properly, i just bought an eheim classic 300, which is supposed to be quite powerful. I have not changed the filtration system within it yet, as in it still has the foam pads that come with it, will that make a difference to its power ? Its been at me 2 weeks and im thinking of taking it back to the store today.

Back
Top Bottom