Dirty Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been having a problem recently that my 10 gallon goldfish tank's water quality is looking dirty very fast. Yesterday I cleaned the tank with a 50% water change and gravel vacuum, I changed the food I was giving them from flakes to sinking pellets (The flakes were crumbled very small, almost powder like) and I replaced the carbon on both filters. Even after doing all of this the tank is beginning to look dirty today. I tried narrowing down what the issue could be but can't, I always scrape the algea off the tank, I looked at the one ornament that the tank has and there is no sign of wear and the plants are plastic, so I am confused. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem could be because I can not and keep in mind that this issue started late last week. Thank you.

The tank has five common goldfish and the filters are a Aqueon 20 and a AquaClear 30. I know someone will say I have to many goldfish but I stay on top of my tank's quality, so amount isn't an issue (Considering this water quality issue has been happening recently).

Edit: Forgot to mention that both filter have a sponge, carbon and biomax.

Priest said:
The tank has five common goldfish and the filters are a Aqueon 20 and a AquaClear 30. I know someone will say I have to many goldfish but I stay on top of my tank's quality, so amount isn't an issue (Considering this water quality issue has been happening recently).

Pollution isn't always the problem swimming room is a big problem health problems will be the issue soon as you have fish that can reach over 12" in size that's almost the size of your tank and unless your doing daily 50-75% water changes it's not enough even at their size they produce a lot of ammonia and solid organics they are poop machines which is why you see algae

I recently read a article about this. 1 comet gold fish will eventually require a minimum of 30 gallons. Also, it said you need 10x's the filtration per gold fish. It's hard to say it because I don't want to offend you, but you are entirely overstocked with insufficient filtration. Craigslist always has great deals on 50+ size aquariums?!?

Well as I said before amount isn't the issue because I've had them for 10 months now and this only started last week. I appreciate the help but if the answer to my water quality problems is the amount of fish I have, then I won't pay attention to that answer. The day my fish start to look/get unhealthy or my water test show bad signs I will lower the amount of goldfish but since neither of those things has happen yet, I will keep them.

Readingexcalibur said:
I recently read a article about this. 1 comet gold fish will eventually require a minimum of 30 gallons. Also, it said you need 10x's the filtration per gold fish. It's hard to say it because I don't want to offend you, but you are entirely overstocked with insufficient filtration. Craigslist always has great deals on 50+ size aquariums?!?

Comets don't belong in a tank except to grow out and over winter months they are pond fish and you need 100x filtration if you have a 10 gallon you should turn over 100 gallons per hour

Priest said:
Well as I said before amount isn't the issue because I've had them for 10 months now and this only started last week. I appreciate the help but if the answer to my water quality problems is the amount of fish I have, then I won't pay attention to that answer. The day my fish start to look/get unhealthy or my water test show bad signs I will lower the amount of goldfish but since neither of those things has happen yet, I will keep them.

It happening right now because of you numbers as the get bigger they produce even more ammonia which is why it's a problem now and not before

Water quality is effected by a couple things number of fish and food type and your feeding pellets so that's good I see one other problem

What's your Perameters
Ammonia?
NI?
NA?

Priest said:

Well I hope it clears up for you, but you will not find one person on this forum that will avoid telling you about the overstock thing. Most people will even go as far as to say they only should be in a pond. Anyhow, good luck.

ryan-peddle said:
Comets don't belong in a tank except to grow out and over winter months and you meds 100x filtration if you have a 10 gallon you should turn over 100 gallons per hour

I concur, however, with big box store selling them to anyone who has a fish bowl, there has to be a work around to at least protect the fish, and that's why the article was written in its context.

Readingexcalibur said:
I concur, however, with big box store selling them to anyone who has a fish bowl, there has to be a work around to at least protect the fish, and that's why the article was written in its context.

Tottaly agree wasn't directed at you

jetajockey said:
The issue is you have 5 common goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. Listen to it or don't, it's the answer.

+1
Common goldfish SHOULD reach 18 inches long if kept correctly. IMO keeping even just one in 10g is cruel. the problem is you are extremely overstocked. You have experienced problems before because of an overstocked goldfish tank. I remember how hard it was in you. Please. Think of the quality of life for these fish.

Okay, well then...... you say that you're crumbling the food into a fine powder. That will pollute your tank much faster than if you just toss flakes in. Goldfish have to eat a lot, as they do not have stomachs. Food just flows through them. Thus, they are really dirty fish. Thus, they need a larger environment unless you do water changes 4 times a day.

I would not be a good fishkeeper if I didn't mention to you, again, like everyone else, that you are not doing the right thing for your fish. You may not want to hear it, but it doesn't make it less true.

You obviously know what you need to do. Sounds like you just don't want to. Good luck!

By now, they are suffering from stunted growth. Perhaps that's even related to your lack of water quality. Consider it, for the sake of your fish. Just because they can't hold up signs saying that they're miserable, doesn't mean they're not.

Also I know a lot of people dont like the advice I get but at the end of the day who is seriousley going to take them back to the LFS no chance! IF they are really overstocked aslong as there is room for them to a 180 turn and swim a bit its not the end of the world! He isnt being cruel and he just wants to keep some fish thats all. Its just a hobby some people take fish-keeping far to seriousley.

Ill PM you in a sec so we can talk there as I would hate you go of this forum and just do whatever you want no one can tell you to rehome a fish!

Everyone can say what they want on here as we are not being cruel!

You've really got to stop this juvenile behavior. It's far more than a hobby when you are responsible for the life of another living being.

You may be a child, but hopefully, you can actually learn something from the adults and the other far more mature and knowledgeable teens on this forum. You can be a beligerent snot or you can try to better yourself, it's up to you.

Just as it would be cruel to keep a St Bernard in a crate meant for a Chihuahua, so it is cruel to keep goldfish in a tank meant for shrimp.

Well said LyndaB. Comet goldfish can grow far larger than 12", easily exceeding 24". They do not belong in a 10 gallon tank, period. Large daily water changes might keep the water clean enough to sustain reasonable water quality but is not a long term solution, and with clean water the fish will grow, making the situation worse. This is a situation that is doomed to failure.

Back
Top Bottom