Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just aqquired my first discus fish. hes about 4 years old. hes called a cobalt blue headed discus.. he was hand raised, by a local friend of mine, not like at a discus breeding farm, hecost me 80 dollars, cheaper compared to the other discus ive seen. any questions about him feel free to ask. :)

What size tank are you putting him in? What other fish or discus are you putting him with? Cobalt blues are really cool if you have dim lighting and dark substrate...

dark substrate? how about black?lol hes with 4 angels, 3 silver dollars, a pink tailed chalceus, and a dojo loach. i removed my bristlenoser just for safety. hes in a 55 gallon. the angels may be removed.

well, that was the plan but right now im short on funds after insurance.. i was gonna do a 90 gallon. when i went down there, there was 2 the first time a beautiful lemon discus and the one i have, i intended on getting oth and storing them till i was financially readyfor the 90.. but, the lemon discus was killed by a pleco.. the lemon was beautiful.. not sure if they wouldve paired up or not, but i wish.

Congrats on the pickup. Sounds like a nice fish. Discus are characins (tetra) and really need to be kept in groups. I'd also worry about them with the chalceus and the hyperactive SDs. Good luck.

They are. Good call. I meant to treat them as tetra. Clearly I think of them that way. lol

I'm with h1 treat them like tetras and the rule for them is 10 gal per fish but u want to keep them in at least groups of 6 IMO and there are lots of hobby breeders out there that offer them at a fair price

in the area im in unfortunately, this was actually the first discus i seen around here.. i just see them on camera on youtube or internet, but when i seen the lemon one, i had to get it.. im probably gonna downsize on my agels back to 2 again, the chalceus is a bit jumpy, so cant be by the tank for very long, ive found, the more plants you have, the less the sd's can move, and that means more cover for the discus. if i could get a discus that was hand raised, locally, without shipping, i would be ok.

Gotcha. Just had to be said. You got the "cobalt blue" or the "lemon"?

the cobalt blue one was there when i came today, i never intended on getting it, i wanted the lemon one. it was beautiful. but, the lemon was killed about 2 days before.. the discus i got has a cobalt blue face, with a lateral black line through its eye, and a red/orange body. anyone reccomend a water change schedule? i was thinking 20% a week. i have 4 filters crammed into it, trying to get the water exceptional.

HN1 and I do 50% weekly (since ours are not juvies). Our tank is 75 gallons, heavily planted, with 4 discus and 8 sterbai cory.

exactly.lol is it normal for this guy to only come out when i leave the room?lol hes pretty smart.lol ill leave, he comes out. i come back in, he hides.

With any discus I would do at least 50% weekly, but that is JMO. I do 50% on all tanks.

Back
Top Bottom