Discus aggression.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will i be ok making a discus tank 2 or 3 fish at a time? How do discus meet and greet new discus tank mates?

Will i be ok making a discus tank 2 or 3 fish at a time? How do discus meet and greet new discus tank mates?

We started our tank adding two at a time for financial reasons. The new ones would always be picked on for a few weeks. They didn't suffer too much physical damage, although I'm sure it was quite stressful. The last one we added was added by himself almost six months ago and he's still targeted and singled out. They definitely establish a hierarchy, I guess someone has to be at the bottom of the totem poll :-/

I started with 3 juvenile discus (5-6cm) and had huge aggression issues. Added two more a week later around the same size and the aggression issues were remarkably abated.

Our first two were about 4-5 inches... The rest were about 3 inches. The first two did not fight but hid all day and wouldn't eat until we started adding more. Then they perked up immensely. Surprisingly it was the younger ones that were more aggressive to the later additions. Our biggest one hardly ever shows aggression unless the youngsters are really going at it with each other... Then he comes over and breaks up the fight lol. It's amusing to watch. But from what I've learned they definitely are more comfortable in groups

At first I added 4 at once, all about 3". Later on I was able to add one by itself every once in a while without any aggression but I'm not sure how I pulled it off. Lots of hiding places and well fed happy fish I guess lol. I did have some very mild bullying at one point when I added a smaller discus to my tank, but turning the lights off and temporarily moving some decor around helped. I also had added a new plant which I think distracted the bigger guys and I had 3 rope fish that acted as peacekeepers, it was hilarious!

Sorry I know this is an old thread lol

Back
Top Bottom