Discus and Angels begging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwkremer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I recently set up a 90 gallon acrylic Clear for Life. Did a fishless cycle, then stocked when everything looked great, about 3 weeks. I initially added serpae tetra (which are wonderful), and cardinals, 12 of each. I knew I wanted to have a few discus, so my temperature is 84. A couple weeks later I added four 2" juvenile discus and four small angels.

The tank was very relaxing to sit and watch when just the tetras were in it. It was very natural as they swam through the plants and rocks, oblivious to me.

Here's my concern/question: All the angels and discus do is stare at me when I'm in the room, plastered at the front of the tank, begging for more food. I'm feeding bloodworms and flake, two or three times a day - not skimping, but trying not to overfeed. It's usually gone within a couple minutes.

I'm tempted to find homes for the big fish and just stick with tetras with tiny brains so I can watch a peaceful nature scene rather than having "pets."

There probably isn't a good answer for this questions, just thought I would put it out there.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 120
Yep south American cichlids love to interact with you. They are like puppy dogs in a glass cage.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those serpae's are likely to have fun feasting on your Angels fins.... I had to move mine to my office tank to stop the nipping.

But yes, my Angel will follow me around the room and eat out of my hand.

If you want placid fish that ignore you, cichlids of any sort are the wrong type of fish for you. Puffers, cichlids, bettas, gourami.... Avoid the whole lot of them. They're all more intelligent than the average fish and notorious beggars ;) Depending on the livebearer's personality, they may beg as well.

Pretty fish that won't tend to interact with you, but are still interesting to watch would include tetras, rasboras, danios, rainbows, etc. Cories and loaches usually are too busy playing with each other to notice you, but might still beg around dinner time.

I was concerned about the serpaes and the angels as well from what I had read, but have had no problems at all. The serpae sometimes school with the cardinals, and sometimes by themselves. They do go after each other, but it looks more like squirrels playing then anything aggressive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom