Discus Belly Indented

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironhulkthordad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 6 discus and this specific one is actually a bit bigger than the others but it seems as though it's belly may be sunken in. Its not as vigorous as the others and it eats but not nearly as crazy or fast as the others. Definitely about a 1/2-1 inch bigger then the others not sure what other description I can give but I can post a picture with all of the to compare.

I am worried as the other 5 actually have puffier stomach/chests.

Just wondering if anyone can think of possible issues it could have with a stomach like this and what I could maybe do. Or if it seems normal.MVIMG_20191026_185838.jpgIMG_20191026_185706.jpgMVIMG_20191026_185704.jpgIMG_20191017_222419.jpg

They're kind of bullies. Once they get a certain age/size they single out the one perceived as weakest and they slowly whittle it down until.its dead. Ask me how I know;) I've not been able to break the cycle.

I would be deworming them asap. Try to get Kusuri Wormer plus. Unfortunately because it's in with other fish, you would need to deworm the entire tank. Discus people usually go crazy with deworming discus. I know a lot that will deworm every 6 months

Not sure how new you are to fish keeping but just in case you don't know, always quarantine new fish for a few weeks. I personally deworm etc all new fish.

So it's safe to just get that deworm and use it in my whole tank?
I would be deworming them asap. Try to get Kusuri Wormer plus. Unfortunately because it's in with other fish, you would need to deworm the entire tank. Discus people usually go crazy with deworming discus. I know a lot that will deworm every 6 months

Not sure how new you are to fish keeping but just in case you don't know, always quarantine new fish for a few weeks. I personally deworm etc all new fish.

So it's safe to just get that deworm and use it in my whole tank?

I have personally used it to treat whole tanks and that's the only way it would work because I would be about 85% sure other fish would be carrying the parasite. I can't give you a guarantee that it's 100% safe but from my experience it has. Do a google search about deworming discus.

I would get or make medicated food as well

So I didn't mention that the reason I am concerned is the others bellys only bloat because I've fed them. I don't really think it's a worm thing unless you mean the one I was concerned about with the Indented belly in the picture. After the night the others bellys are back to normal.
I have personally used it to treat whole tanks and that's the only way it would work because I would be about 85% sure other fish would be carrying the parasite. I can't give you a guarantee that it's 100% safe but from my experience it has. Do a google search about deworming discus.

I would get or make medicated food as well

Sorry not ignoring lol I kinda read it and knew what you meant. But now that you mention it they actually aren't picking on that one at all. They are actually all bugging each other except for that guy oddly.
They're kind of bullies. Once they get a certain age/size they single out the one perceived as weakest and they slowly whittle it down until.its dead. Ask me how I know;) I've not been able to break the cycle.

Do they let him near food? Mine would usher away the chosen one. They'd slowly starve

As Brook said.....he's starving to death.

Try to hand feed it with tweezers. Has he ate since you've had him? If he's refusing food it's probably a parasite.

Is his poop white?

My initial thought would be either worms or Hexamita.

mine died this way to was really sad I did everything I could I even bought garlic guard and seachem entice nothing worked sadly he was bullied to death and wasn't allowed to eat by others. I've seen this behavior beyond discus. It's nature with animals only the strong survive it's the same with terrestrial animals as well.

Back
Top Bottom