Discus growth rate and food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shickley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been scouring the internet trying to find how fast discus will grow as well as the best food to feed them. Any thoughts on how fast they grow? Best food mixture?
I'm trying to get everything mapped out before I try to get any. I want to be prepared.
By the way, I have a 75 gallon tank and am looking for tank mates that are at least as impressive as the discus.
Thanks

I've been scouring the internet trying to find how fast discus will grow as well as the best food to feed them. Any thoughts on how fast they grow? Best food mixture?
I'm trying to get everything mapped out before I try to get any. I want to be prepared.
By the way, I have a 75 gallon tank and am looking for tank mates that are at least as impressive as the discus.
Thanks

Not sure on growth rates but it will very on what kind of food you feed them and how much food. I know that they like Blood worms however if you really want them to grow fast I would think that Live Black worms would be your best food. Beef heart is a good power feeding food to get growth however to much of it I have been told is not good for them.

As for tank mates, Maybe a pair of German blue rams? not many fish are as impressive as discus that work in a 75g

Alright so beef heart, bloodworms, and blackworms? Could I find beef heart at the LFS? Are there any other foods they eat? Thanks
Also would some loaches work with the discus? I think those would be cool because they are so funny looking :p

Discus under 3 inches need to be fed 2-3 times a day.

I feed mine a variety of frozen foods.

Mysis
Brine shrimp
Bloodworms
Beefheart

And a discus formula made by ocean nutrition I think it was?

Caleb

Are those foods live? What is mysis? As far as beefheart goes is at actual heart from a cow? Sorry about not knowing much but could someone walk me through the steps of a feeding? I want to make sure I'm well educated before even setting up a tank for them.

Are those foods live? What is mysis? As far as beefheart goes is at actual heart from a cow? Sorry about not knowing much but could someone walk me through the steps of a feeding? I want to make sure I'm well educated before even setting up a tank for them.

They are packaged frozen foods. Mysis is another form of shrimp.

I feed 1 cube 2x a day

Caleb

I feed mines 2 times a day bloodworms/brine shrimps and once or twice a day flakes/pallets.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I feed mines 2 times a day bloodworms/brine shrimps and once or twice a day flakes/pallets.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

On the topic of pellets...

If you feed pellets make sure to soak them first so they are easier to digest.

Caleb

Live food
Frozen food
FrzDrd food
Flake/Pellet food

Discus growth IME is one of those things that has alot of factors. Thats why its tough to find solid info on it. Good water, diet, tank husbandry, and proper space for growth are great starting points to eyeball when wanting solid growth. Discus are also known to release hormones, that can affect other discus growth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Live food
Frozen food
FrzDrd food
Flake/Pellet food

Discus growth IME is one of those things that has alot of factors. Thats why its tough to find solid info on it. Good water, diet, tank husbandry, and proper space for growth are great starting points to eyeball when wanting solid growth. Discus are also known to release hormones, that can affect other discus growth.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 it's the alpha discus that releases the hormones. People call it stunting but all its really doing is slowing down the growth of the others so he/she stays top dog. That's why breeders often do very frequent water changes to remove the hormone from the water.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom