discus help......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BK Buttikoferi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29gallon high. I want to add 2 discus. Can i add a pair of angels or should i go with a small school of barbs or tetras ?

I have heard many people on the forum say to never keep angels with discus. Then again, some people have successfully done this. My main concern is the angelfish growing to large for the aquarium.

Discus like to be kept in larger groups, probably 5+ I would say wait until you can upgrade to a 55g and then get a school of them. I would also avoid angels. However GBRs, Harlequin rasboras, rummy nose tetras, and loaches would probably make decent tank mates for them

Discus need room plus it's better to keep them in groups of five or more

Discus need room plus it's better to keep them in groups of five or more

Thanks for the tips. I have a 75 gallon i was saving to start a saltwater tank but im not that experienced enough yet. I will use that for a school of five discus and use my 29 high for tetras or smaller schooling fish.

Curious.. How much experience do you have with keeping fish?

1year now with freshwater cichlids. I have a 55 long. Want to set up two more. I have a 10" black shark, 1 6" texas cichlid, 1male JD, 1 3" male black convict, 2 jellybeans, one hi fin pleco, a 3" medusa pleco , one blue acara and my favorite one, the 6" buttikoferi.

Ahh very nice. I always kind of feel the need to double check that people have at least some experience before trying out a discus tank :)

Ahh very nice. I always kind of feel the need to double check that people have at least some experience before trying out a discus tank :)

They are beauties.... Saw a tank on youtube one day and fell in love with them. I have read that they require alot of work and attention so thats mainly why i decided to join this forum.

Yeah, they are amazing fish. I thought about converting my 55g to a discus tank but decided to start a salty tank with that money instead.

75 gallon. Dont know what fish i want yet but i do like the dogface puffer and triggerfish.

75 gallons wont be able to get you either of those fish dog faces need 150 and the smaller species of triggers need at least 180. there are some other really cool puffers that will do well in a 75 :)

75 gallons wont be able to get you either of those fish dog faces need 150 and the smaller species of triggers need at least 180. there are some other really cool puffers that will do well in a 75 :)

Figure eight puffers are pretty awesome. It will be a while anyway.

My pigeon blood the big one on top will swim rite into my hand and let me pick him up out of the water

Attachments

• image-542925534.jpg
    image-542925534.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom