Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to quadrider5953
discus in 29 gal?

Is it alright to keep 1 discus as a centerpiece in a 29 gallon tank that will be planted?

Kyle

Old 04-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am pretty sure that discus prefer to be in groups and I would recommend a 55g or bigger.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Discus are a social fish. They can be quite aggressive on their own. A rule of thumb is 10 gals per grown discus. There are also a lot of fish that can't tolerate the conditions that discus need. For example, discus prefer temps between 84-88F. Most fish 78-82F, not all but many. You would be better off with an angelfish as a centerpiece IMO.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Discus do prefer to be in groups, but if you want to keep 1 as a centerpiece I would suggest adding 5-10 Rummynose. They get along with discus fine. They can also handle the same living conditions. Or, you could add a couple of German Blue Rams. I have both those fish with my Discus.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you do get a single discus as a "center peice" for your tank it will probably try to hide in a corner almost all of the time. I have also noticed that they tend to darken their color and do not look as good. To keep discus that are fun and pretty to look at you need a breading pair or a group, clean warm water and good food.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to quadrider5953
After hearing what you all have to say, maybe i will get an angelfish like zagz said, they are probably easier to take care of also. Thanks for our responses, they really helped.

Kyle
Old 04-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
Discus are a social fish. They can be quite aggressive on their own. A rule of thumb is 10 gals per grown discus. There are also a lot of fish that can't tolerate the conditions that discus need. For example, discus prefer temps between 84-88F. Most fish 78-82F, not all but many. You would be better off with an angelfish as a centerpiece IMO.
I have a pair of Angels as the center around which my 28 Bow front is stocked, very nice...though someday I too would like to give discus a try (when i move out of my apartment and can have a larger tank 75+)
Old 04-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 33 gal tank and currently have 5 juvi's in there. The tank does not look crowded and discus are some what happy, even signs of courting. I even plan on adding another one as they dont shoal. My water perfect however I am aware of the potential size of discus and ovbiously will spread them out in a numaber of tanks. They are all together atm so I can trya nd get a breeding pair .
Old 04-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I know what you mean steven, I have 9 juvy discus in a 75 gal. I am prepared to move them once they get full sized and start pairing up.

Angelfish can be beautiful colors and will enjoy being a centerpiece in a tank. I think they like the attention.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
i think a pair of angels make a great centerpiece for a 29 gallon tank.

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com