Discus stopped eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricemanwhite42

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So the other day i bought two new discus to add to my lone discus, before then the lone discus ate like a pig and swam all over the place. After i added the new discus he began to hide and not eat having a darker color. I tried an epsom salt bath and now he is bright in color and swims around with the other discus but still completely ignores food. All dicsus are around 3"-4". The other two discus are still getting used to the tank and have not eaten yet. Im about to do a 50% water change today. I have a 65gal planted tank, ph- 7.0 temp- 84°F ammonia- 0 nitrite- 0 nitrate- 10ppm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My fish would not eat for a while. They could be under stress due to new tankmates. Let them be for a week at max

Discus are best in schools of 5 or more. If you have juveniles you have to take a lot more care of them you better look online

Been a while since I kept discus but I had a school of 8 for several years. Sounds like your water is fine, "hot and clean".
Tried unsuccessfully to get mine to eat pellets and flakes. Finally had to feed them frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. Once that got started the discus started laying eggs.
An owner of one of my LFS rotates medicated food in with her discus. I don't know the brand, but I believe it may be garlic based.
My discus had a very aggressive pecking order. The dominate male grew from "3 to dinner plate size. The weakest fish always stayed dark and was somewhat stunted.
Your once healthy fish may not be sick just a little intimidated.
Don't know your set up, but discus respond well to dark water. Might not be a bad idea to decorate with driftwood or filter with peat moss.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom