Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Discus Transport

So here is my dilemma;
I am attending an auction this long weekend and hope to be picking up some discus at either this auction or at a pet store in the city. I live 3 hours away and am concerned for the well being of the fish on this long journey back to my home. I am going to be taking a cooler with me to help insulate them from the scortching sun in the back of my car. As well I am thinking that I should even leave immidately after I have recieved discus and not wait around until the end of the auction. You know to see if anything interesting tweeks my interest, what do you guys think? Is my plan sound in practice? Please let me know thanks

Old 05-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Thebluyak
discus dont mind hot water, they like it around 86 so hot water wont kill them. just bring them home in what they were brought in. If they are coming from the same breeder/location then they can be combined as the PH and chemical aspects of the water should be the same. maybe bring a air pump and id keep some prime on hand just in case they were feed and foul the water, that way you can atleast detox it till you get home. Then do the drip method or if the water PH is the same just float and add tank water then plopem in. If there is already discus in the tank then QT so you dont spread disease. If they are coming from different breeders/stores then QT so you dont run the rick of cross contamination.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about. We used to drive over 3 hours to a lfs just to get fish, even some sensitive ones such as German Blue Rams and True Rummynose Tetras. We never had any problems. When fish are shipped they are in a bag overnight. Chances are the seller did not feed the Discus for at least two days or so before bringing them to auction.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sweet thanks guys you confirmed what I was thinking all along, I guess I am just paranoid.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The transport is absolutely no problem. I once bought discus at an auction in Atlanta and took them on my flight back home to NY. If packaged properly (one per bag for adults), they can easily survive 36 hours.

A note of caution. IMO cross contamination of disease between tanks can occur quite easily at a discus auction. The more breeders and the more importers that attend, the higher the likelihood of that. I've had a bout of discus plague happen from just such an auction.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well everything went well with the transport of the Discus this weekend it is now wednesday and things are looking good in the tank. They survived the trip nicely. I purchased 3 gold discus of varying size from 1 1\2 inches to 3 inches. All are well. Thankyou for the info
Old 05-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
what kind of auction has fish for sale? I wanna go lol
Old 05-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
nevermind. i was just going to post about my long trip buying dicus. good luck. and glad they are doing well.

Tags
discus, transport

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com