Discus water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogart

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 50 gal community tank that I plan on converting to a Discus tank once I feel I know enough about Discus keeping. From my reading it seems most experts recommend a lot more frequent water changes than for most fish. From your experience what is a good, practical frequency and % for healthy Discus?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I currently have a 50 gal community tank that I plan on converting to a Discus tank once I feel I know enough about Discus keeping. From my reading it seems most experts recommend a lot more frequent water changes than for most fish. From your experience what is a good, practical frequency and % for healthy Discus?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It all depends on the size (age) and stock (trusted source) you start with. Do you have either of those decided yet ? Juvies require much more work than adults but adults are much more costly than juvies.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I would recommend anything under 3.5" should be at least daily, at least 50% but the more the better. 4" and over could go at least 50% every other day. Adults 5.5" and bigger could go weekly, at least 50%.

I've got 5 in a 55 with 2 canister filters and still do 50% every other day and 90-100% on Sundays. 1 is over 4.5", 2 are 5.5", and the other 2 are over 6". The more you change and more often you change, the better the results.

I plan on getting the smallest adults I can find in the right color. I haven't seen anything smaller than about 2-1/2". Thanks for your help. Just what I was looking for.

I plan on getting the smallest adults I can find in the right color. I haven't seen anything smaller than about 2-1/2". Thanks for your help. Just what I was looking for.

You probably won't find anything smaller than 2-1/2" as those are fairly close to just above newborns. For anything that size I wouldn't use anything larger than a 20g to grow them out. Maybe a 30g at most. No reason to change half (or more) of a 50g daily for the next 4 months while trying to grow them out.

If I get 2-1/2" how big will they be in 4 months?

Provided they've come from a trusted breeder/importer and not a big box or chain store, with an excellent feeding and WC routine in 4 months time they could be around 4" or more. But that's also providing they weren't something that was meant to be culled or being sold that's already stunted.

Back
Top Bottom