Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I would use a new one if you have one. One that has been washed is not a good idea to use in the tank. Also and with respect, a used one will have sweat in it. As Jessica said, they are super cheap to buy. Like a few dollars for a massive bag of it....
I was just playing I have some in a bag the tenant before me was evicted and she was into crafts and such
__________________

__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
I was just playing I have some in a bag the tenant before me was evicted and she was into crafts and such
. That'll do so!!!!
__________________

__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
. That'll do so!!!!
All my pillows R memory foam
Anyways all 2 of them haha
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
All my pillows R memory foam
Anyways all 2 of them haha
You can't beat the memory foam, have two of them myself!!!!
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #45
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I would recommend the one that sticks with suction cups to the back. I had airstones in my tank and the bubbles kept stirring up the sand and I had sand constantly floating around the tank. If you put the airstone at least 1" off the bottom you should be ok. I ended up taking mine out, as sand constantly got onto the stone, from my Kribs and Corys digging.....
Actually, I advise against those with the "suction cups" -- I had those, the Top Fin tubes, in a previous tank and they were HORRIBLE, disintegrating after some use and NEVER staying put, not to mention the bubbles they NEVER made...

I always recommend these, as they have been pumping steadily since I put them in:


I have two 18" bars side by side being fed by a Top Fin AIR-8000 (four air outlets, in which I've "bridged" two each to feed the bars individually) and these things are incredible -- the most bubbles I have ever had. They "bury" beneath the gravel so just the surface area of the bar is exposed, allowing the bubbles to flow like a curtain...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post

Actually, I advise against those with the "suction cups" -- I had those, the Top Fin tubes, in a previous tank and they were HORRIBLE, disintegrating after some use and NEVER staying put, not to mention the bubbles they NEVER made...

I always recommend these, as they have been pumping steadily since I put them in:

I have two 18" bars side by side being fed by a Top Fin AIR-8000 (four air outlets, in which I've "bridged" two each to feed the bars individually) and these things are incredible -- the most bubbles I have ever had. They "bury" beneath the gravel so just the surface area of the bar is exposed, allowing the bubbles to flow like a curtain...
But we are on to the point where I already picked sand so I can't burry anything
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #47
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
But we are on to the point where I already picked sand so I can't burry anything
Why can't you bury under sand? The plastic "edges" of this bar get buried, not the porous "surface" of it...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
azmodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,368
Sorry, only skimmed through most of this thread. Did you end up with the Ray 2? That's quite a lot of light, which is why normally I'd recommend going with a substrate more plant-specific like EcoComplete (or anything similar). But nothing wrong with sand too! Obviously you can't beat the price and I like how it looks too.
__________________
azmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post

Why can't you bury under sand? The plastic "edges" of this bar get buried, not the porous "surface" of it...
Sand is really light I think it will disturb it ill probably just get one of these even though they don't look to great



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-91232121.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	177369
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #50
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
Sand is really light I think it will disturb it ill probably just get one of these even though they don't look to great



Attachment 177369
Indeed, it is really light, but these bars don't require much to weigh them down in the substrate; it's up to you, but you can always try the Petco bars and return them if you don't like 'em...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #51
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Yeah, I don't know if I'm feelin' those "bubble ovals"...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post

Indeed, it is really light, but these bars don't require much to weigh them down in the substrate; it's up to you, but you can always try the Petco bars and return them if you don't like 'em...
I'm worried a out the bubbles being to close to the sand not the ability to hold it down. It's like the disturbance being to close to the sand could cause it to cloud up
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Yeah, I don't know if I'm feelin' those "bubble ovals"...
I Would hide it in a volcano or a bottle

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1764322174.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	177375
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #54
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Yeah, I still don't know...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
And also as Jessica said, make sure it says 100% polyfil, no additives!!
Where do I put said Polly fill?
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lovemyguppies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post

Where do I put said Polly fill?
In your filter
__________________
lovemyguppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguppies View Post

In your filter
Yes but in what area like the intake so no sand bits get on or like before your main filter ? I can't do that with my C3
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
What next I have 2 half filled 5 gallon buckets of washed sand 1 filled with 85% of my old substrate took it out in segments today I will get the last out. And 1 empty 5 gallon bucket .

And 1 dechlorinated but empty"fish wise" 26 gallon tank.

What are the steps I should take toward finishing my transition to sand ?

I can put all the sand into 1 bucket and that will give me 2 empty 5 gallon buckets.

How much of the original water should I keep ?
Would the fish be okay to go into the 36 gallon I just filled ?

3 long fin zebra danios
1 regular zebra danio
1 platy
1 dwarf gourami
2 ghost shrimp .
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Also my sand smells like chlorine or a pool it's Pretty strong I slept in the room
With the buckets last night woke up this morning to my chest and lungs killing me
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hobgob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickriley2010 View Post
Also my sand smells like chlorine or a pool it's Pretty strong I slept in the room
With the buckets last night woke up this morning to my chest and lungs killing me
Are you breathing in the dust? I never noticed a Chlorine smell and I have worked with it multiple times. When I work with it I put it straight from the bag into a pillow case. Then wash it. Once it us wet dust usually isn't an issue.
__________________

__________________
Hobgob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
airline, discus, gravel, gravel or sand, lights, planted, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.