Discussion Time - Gravel or Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know i have asked about this topic a couple times but this is it. Let it rip what are the pros and cons of each and what is your personal experience?

Freshwater and eventually i want plants but my mainland kit isn't bright enough. Im going to get a glass lid and this super affordable LED Light here as soon as i get the money!

Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight
Amazon.com: Finnex

Here is a video of the lights in action unreal how bright they are !
9) Talking about the future of the 26g. It's looking good - YouTube

I also ordered 500 feet of airline tubing only concern is whats the difference between the 72 and 88 ounces what is that referring to?
Thanks!

also i just spent 100$ on amazon of fish stuff
I assume things like the Water changer will work if i have a sand bottom? Anything you think i wont need? Thanks.

TOM Aquarium Maintenance Algae Scraper Multi Tool 34 Length
11.99 USD
Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Maintenance Algae Scraper Multi Tool 34 Length: Pet Supplies

Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet
28.62 USD
Amazon.com: Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet: Pet Supplies

Fluval C3 Power Filter
38.72 USD
Amazon.com: Fluval C3 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Tetra 77853 Whisper Air Pump, 40-Gallon
13.83 USD
Amazon.com: Tetra 77853 Whisper Air Pump, 40-Gallon: Pet Supplies

JW Pet Company Accuair 4-Way Aquarium Gang Valve
4.49 USD
Amazon.com: JW Pet Company Accuair 4-Way Aquarium Gang Valve: Pet Supplies

Jardin Fish Aquarium Mini Cylinder Soft Sponge Water Filter, Black
Amazon.com: Jardin Fish Aquarium Mini Cylinder Soft Sponge Water Filter, Black: Pet Supplies

Marina Battery-Operated Air Pump
9.57 USD
Amazon.com: Marina Battery-Operated Air Pump: Pet Supplies

Lee's Economy 500-Foot Airline Tubing Spool - 72 Ounce
5.99 USD
Amazon.com: Lee's Economy 500-Foot Airline Tubing Spool - 72 Ounce: Pet Supplies

Hey Patrick. I have and am a big fan of sand. I used to have gravel back in the day but since i switched to sand a few years back, I never looked back. I love the look and the ease of maintenance with it. Some people think it can look dirtier than gravel but I believe that's only because they can see everything sitting on the sand. Gravel hides all that, which is not really a good thing. IMO sand encourages better tank maintenance. It is real easy to remove any dirt when doing your doing your PWC, as you just hover over the top of the sand and everything gets sucked out. I really can't think of any cons. Maybe the only one in your case would be, you plan on planting. I have read many debates on whether it can be used or not. Some say yes others say it's not ideal. I am not experienced with plants, so I can't help you there. As I said, it works great with water changers, I have the aqueon. Just hold the tube about half an inch above the sand and it'll remove the waste. It will/might remove a very small amount of sand at first but you'll soon get the hang of it....

SAND(Pros)
1. Looks great.
2. Very cheap to purchase.
3. Easy to work with.
4. Easy to keep clean/maintain.

SAND(Cons)
1. A pain, but not hard, to wash before you put it in.
2. Can cause cloudiness, but very little, if you clean well beforehand.
3. Can't think of any more!!!

Can sand be used with goldfish?

I believe sand can be used with goldfish although I don't have any.

I like sand much better than gravel. It's so much easier to clean than gravel and looks more natural imo. If you do decide to get plants though you will have to use root tabs for any root feeding plants. I have found sand works fine with plants. My problem with gravel is no matter how much you vacuum the gravel you can never get all the gunk out of it. The only negative thing about sand is that you can see all the fish poo just sitting there, but as long as you keep up with regular tank maintenance that shouldn't really be an issue.

Yes, I had sand in my goldfish tank, for years, when I kept them....

Thanks!

Also I posted the other day about like little retaining walls for aquariums ? Anyone know I'd someone makes something that is like a wall so you can have higher up section of different substrate ?

Thanks!

Also I posted the other day about like little retaining walls for aquariums ? Anyone know I'd someone makes something that is like a wall so you can have higher up section of different substrate ?
I know Convict used some of those disposable chopping mats. He got them in the dollar store. He just cut them to the size/shape he needed. I've never done it myself but i'm sure there's vids on youtube or you could contact Convict. I'm not sure if he's on at the moment. He's away, helping with the clean-up in Oklahoma....

Last edited:
Thank you, both, for your input...:)

I like the look of sand, as well, as it definitely seems more "natural" to the eye especially upon first glance...like you're looking at the bottom of the ocean or a lake...however, because we spent a lot on the natural polished pebble gravel for this newest tank, I'm probably just going to hold off and maybe change the substrate out in the next setup, whenever that may be...I was just curious as to whether or not sand could be used with goldfish...

Here's the thing, though: I had read and had subsequently been told that sand isn't good for doing with goldfish tanks because they can simply suck up and eat the sand as they're forging for food as they do all day and night...and that because they're such waste producers, the waste is going to simply contaminate the sand...

Any thoughts?

I know Convict used some of those disposable chopping mats. He got them in the dollar store. He just cut them to the size/shape he needed. I've never done it myself but i'm sure there's vids on youtube or you could contact Convict. I'm not if he's on at the moment. He's away, helping with the clean-up in Oklahoma....

Convict is in OKLAHOMA assisting with the tornado cleanup? Serious? I thought he resided somewhere in New York...

Back
Top Bottom