Disease Treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some good disease treatments? I currently have a copper one, which i have only used once with disastrous results. I don't trust chemicals, and i want to know if all i need to fight ich, velvet, etc, is garlic guard and vitachem. also are there any home remedies? i ask because if an outbreak DOES break out in my tank, i want to be prepared. ive heard of mela and pimafix, but im niot sure...

There's always the good old salt bath which should get rid of most parasites. Turning up the temperature also speeds up their life cycle which should kill them.

For infections, daily PWC and sometimes putting in a few extra doses of Prime doesn't hurt.

Don't know if this would work for you, but when my grandma had a huge fungal breakout in her goldfish tank she used API Melafix and it had some sort of tea leaf in it which had this sort of sweet scented odor to it and it went away in about a week...

What about this vitachem and garlic guard ive been hearing so much about? Is it any good? how do i use it? is it safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and snails? how often should i use it? what does it look like?

for ich quick cure is your friend - no it's not all natural, but it works, and as "chemicals" go, the two active ingredients aren't all that bad.

Now dihydrogen oxide - that's another story...:angel:

What about this vitachem and garlic guard ive been hearing so much about? Is it any good? how do i use it? is it safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and snails? how often should i use it? what does it look like?

Patience is a virtue, waffly one. :D

I use Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem (both come in bottles). If the tanks are all healthy, which is usually the case, I soak the food (flakes, freezedried bloodworms, pellets, frozen shrimp or plankton) in a combo of the GG and tank water and the same with the VC and tank water. I do not dose together although you probably could. You use much less of the VC than the GC. Just read instructions.

If I see a problem in a tank i.e., fish has been hassling with another fish, I will dose that tank with both aside from my usual weekly schedule.

I have both shrimp and snails in my tanks. Everybody loves this stuff. :)

Don't know. Maybe.

Products like this are usually interchangeable between FW and SW. When all else fails, read the label.

Back
Top Bottom