Distilled Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a gallon of distilled water today and I was wondering if it is safe to use to do a water change on my 10 gallon tank? It's planted with a 4" BN pleco and 6 pygmy cories with a aquaclear 110 on it. I plan on getting another RO/DI unit soon but until I do will using distilled water hurt? My tap water is very high TDS and PH 8.5 hence why I got the unit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I will add the minerals like I do with my RO/DI water. My tap water has 480 TDS hence why I got the RO/DI unit which I was using until a plumber broke it fixing the sink last week :-(. So I just ordered a new one and it should be here Saturday but today is water change day so I am gonna do a small gallon water change just to hold them over until Sunday when I do my normal water change. Thank you

I'm assuming you got a reverse osmosis filtration. If there is a carbon filter before the reverse osmosis filter every thing is fine, I believe there is. Otherwise you'll still be putting Cl in your tank...

Yes but I am using store bought distilled until my new unit is hooked up tomorrow

I used 1 gallon added to the tank and everyone looks fine

Test it first...

I got some distilled from Walmart to use on my SW tank and it had 0.50ppm ammonia straight from the jug. Not just one jug either they all did.

Caleb

Test it first...

I got some distilled from Walmart to use on my SW tank and it had 0.50ppm ammonia straight from the jug. Not just one jug either they all did.

Caleb

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Next ammonia test I'll add in a test for the distilled water. Should be ok but just in case.

Back
Top Bottom