Disturbing Fish Loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
This morning we discovered our large Female Sword swollen to the point that her insides were beginning to push out her anus. She looked like a large Balloon Molly. She couldn’t keep herself from floating. At one point she wedged herself under some driftwood to keep herself down. I assume that she had some problem with her swim bladder, but whatever it was it came on quick. I have had some trouble with the tank over the last couple months so I have been watching the fish very carefully and she showed no indication of illness until we found her struggling this morning.

I posted last week about the slow attrition in my tank. At the end of the summer the tank population was two Cories, two Otos, two Female Swords, Two Platies, and one Clown Pleco. The tank is 30 gallon with Aqua Clear 30 and Quiet Flow 10 Filters. Water parameters are 0, 0, 5-10. Temp is 79 – 80. The first casualty was an Oto in September. That fish just vanished and a blamed that on the Clown Pleco getting to the body before me. The next loss was a Female Sword. She went with no warning. Shortly after one of the Platies began to get very skinny then she began breathing very hard. I put her in a QT when she developed a white growth in her gills and she died a couple days later. That was the second week of November. Last week one of the Cories began breathing very rapidly and became lethargic. I removed that fish to the QT and it died within a day. Then this morning we lost the last Sword.

I am down to four fish in my 30 gallon, but I am afraid to add any new ones because I don’t know if there is a disease in my tank. No two fish have expired in the same exact way. The Platy and the Cory were the most similar with the rapid breathing, but the Cory never developed the white mass at the gills. The Platy and the Cory were in my first tank a little over a year ago when it cycled, I had never heard of the fishless cycle, so I am not shocked they had short life spans, but the others were all put into a cycled tank. Does this sound like a sick tank? The body count seems to say so, but I cant figure out what the problem is.

That is indeed very disturbing. I wouldn't add any more fish until the tank has gone about two months with no illness or death. I'm sorry that I can't help you with identifying the illness. Did you get all the fish from the same place? If so, you might try another shop.

My Last Cory has started breathing hard this afternoon. If it wasn't obvious that something was wrong before it is now. How do you deal with something like this? If/When I lose this Cory I am going to be down to three fish in a thirty gallon tank. I haven't a clue what to do.

Have you tested the water?

If so what are the levels?

Also reading through you said you saw a white growth?

What did it look like exactly? Can you find a pic online for us?

Hmmm... that is a bit puzzling since you said the parameters are good and the deaths have been different.
Sorry if these questions seem silly, but I am just asking what I am can think of. Do you use dechlorinator? Have you used any meds in the tank for anything? Do you run CO2? What do you feed them? What sort of test kit do you use?
I am sorry for your losses. I know how frustrating that can be.

I was wondering about contamination... I actually caught my daughter cleaning the hood of one of my tanks...with window cleaner! I never would have known if I hadn't walked in on her. Is there any way the tank is getting contaminated with something?

This afternoons water test results are 0, 0, 5. The only thing odd in the test was PH. In the tank it was either side of 7, but directly from the tap it maxed out the PH test, and I had to use High PH and got 7.8. I have always used Microb-Lift water conditioner just because its what I started with so I figure why change. Does water conditioner effect PH? The only thing that makes me think that this isn't the problem is I have a second tank in my son's room with Guppies, Neons, and a Platy. There has been no trouble with this tank, and if PH were my problem I would expect trouble from the Neons in that tank, but so far they are fine.

To answer some other questions. The tank is/was planted though the only plant left is a Java Fern. There is no CO2. The fish have been in my tanks way to long for it to have anything to do with the shop. Those Swords had to be at least nine maybe ten months in my tank. The surviving Platy was born in my tanks. Except for the swords and the Otos these fish are all originals so I have had them for 13 or 14 months, maybe a bit longer

If there is a Bacteria or parasite problem in my tank that is this lethal can it be fixed with frequent water changes? Do I have to break the tank down and start fresh? The fish that are in the tank wont tolerate meds well.

Firstly sorry for your losses, it's heart breaking too loose the things we care for and look after.

Does sound like a disease, but could certainly be a result of window clearer.

The best suggestion I can give, is to put all your stock in the hospital tank, and use may meth blue or something mild to treat them , whilst there in there. In the meantime strip, clean and soak in boiled water everything your main tank leave no stone unturned including your filter. Re-fill and re-cycle. This will not only get rid of any traces of window cleaner but should get rid of disease if that the case.

Good luck , keep us posted.

Dan

The white fuzz was very late in the game with that fish getting sick. I think it may have been a secondary issue that cropped up from the compromised health of the fish. It hasn't appeared in any other fatalities. The most common and first indication that there is a problem is the rapid breathing.

Saltair said:
The white fuzz was very late in the game with that fish getting sick. I think it may have been a secondary issue that cropped up from the compromised health of the fish. It hasn't appeared in any other fatalities. The most common and first indication that there is a problem is the rapid breathing.

Imo i still think its worth looking into. It can effect gills with no obvious outward signs. I have just experienced it and lost 7 fish. :(

For what its worth I changed about 85% of the tank water tonight. Probably wont help a bit, but I feel better. Last change was 50% six days ago.

Back
Top Bottom