Disturbing the peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benscott24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I have had a peaceful 140 ltr tank set up for a while now with a good stock of "peaceful" fish. ( stats listed below ) Today i added 6 very small / young platinum tetras because i love the silver shine.
Over the past few hours all the fish have gone mad attacking each other and the new fish. Is this the tank hierarchy sorting itself out ? even with such tiny new fish?
even fish platys that are best mates are chancing each other.

Any advise on how to stop the war would be appreciated.

140 lt fresh water
fluval 305 external filter
liquid test kit
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10

water tested before adding fish

light to medium planted with healthy plants
6 cardinal tetras
6 lamp eye tetras
5 glowlights
2 platys
2 mollies
2 male guppies
2 female guppies
2 panda corys
4 amino shrimps
1 bamboo shrimps
about 5 red cheery shrimps
1 apple snail
now 6 platinum tetras.

maybe their just stressed out with the arrival of the new guys? have they ever done this brfor when you broght new fishies home?

My experience with this fish is :devilish: negative.

Got a bunch of the Lamp-eye from someone who was moving with mixed other fish. I read they were friendly, so didn't give much thought about it. There were about 5 I had Neons and Glow light Tetras and Fancy Tail Guppies in there. Over the next few days I saw bites out of the fins and was confused as to the culprit. After watching in the late evening I saw them biting the other fish and each other. :eek:

They were rehomed to a friend with Gouramies and Giant Danios and a shy Pacu and they straightened out and didn't bite them!

My fish were fine after that. The tank wasn't over stocked either and I had moved decor so all fish could be comfortable.

Diamond Tetras are similar looking and I understand not nippy, maybe you can exchange them.

No it's the first time they have freaked out. Has got a lot better over night, poor guppy has a damaged tail. Not as fast with the floppy fins. I have seen the lamp eyes having a go at each other but never with other tank mates.
Can they be that bad?

Back
Top Bottom