Dither fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 20h that currently has 4 apisto borelli and 2 ottos.
I need some kind of smallish, mild mannered fish to act as dithers. I don't want neon/cardinals or nippy tetras. I've got a few ideas but I'd like to get some additional suggestions!

Do you have a male and three females? If you don't want any of the small tetras that are commonly used your limited to a couple of the small rasboras or perhaps Endlers since they stay in the upper levels mostly and won't tend to be in the line of fire if/when spawning occurs.

Yep, one male and three females. I'm okay with tetras, I just don't want any that could be nippy. Serpaes, bloodfins, etc. We actually just got some lemon and diamond tetras at work, which are some of my favorites but I'm not sure how good they would be as dithers.

Rummynose and Cardinals are actually two of the best and tend to school fairly tightly and are not nippers. I keep 25 of each of the above with 12 adult breeding angels and 4 pairs of rams.

Rummynose were definitely on my "considering" list. I'd have to double check my water params to see if my pH is acidic enough.

If possible try to get tank bred or at least tank raised ones. They can adjust to most water parameters. If your discus are thriving then the rummynose will do good.

Back
Top Bottom