Dividing a new 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have two ten gallons that have been set up for a long time. One has a few Guppies (1 female and 2 young males) and the other has a male Betta. They both have live plants. I also recently had to adopt another male Betta from a family member who was not taking care of it. He currently lives in a bowl. :(

I am pregnant now and so I would like to cut down on the overall maintenance of all the fish. (I also have a dog, a cat, a rat, and a frog. My husband helps with them but does not do fish tank maintenance.)

I just got a new 29 gallon tank and was hoping to put all of the fish in it, separated by dividers. Should I just move the filters from the two ten gallons onto the new tank so that there is more even filtration on the different sides? The tank would be under filtered (would be less than 200 GPH) but it would also be understocked. I also have a Fluval U4 (290 GPH) or an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 (200 GPH) that I could use instead.

I plan to get some black Instant Tahitian Moon Sand to use as substrate. Should I put the dividers in, then the sand?

So, right now I am thinking I will add the Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and the little Aquaclear I have currently on one of the ten gallons. Does this sound good or will the larger filter be too much for these fish?

I don't think using the Quietflow 30 and Aquaclear would be too much. You can usually turn down the flow so they're not blasting at full force.

My concern would be having 2 male Bettas in the tank. They are Siamese Fighting Fish after all...

I really don't know anything about tank dividers. If they will work, i'd keep one Betta on each side and separate the male and female Guppies too. Usual recommendations are 2-1 female to male, to keep the mating to a safe level.

Back
Top Bottom