DIY CO2 help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusilja

Aquarium Advice Activist
Helloo

After dozen of youtube video's & site's that I visited I decided to make my own DIY CO2 generator.

I have a tube
Airstone (for some reason they don't recommend it)
1.5Litre bottle
Yeast
Sugar
Water fcours.

Only thing missing is the Checkvalve.
But that's my MAIN question.
If I put my bottle higher than my aquarium it's no harm right?

Can someone explain to me (some one with experience hehe :p) the best way for the value, I have 1.5 litr bottle (a strong one: soda bottle).
And a 5.27 gal tank (20litre)
How much yeast & sugar should I use.
Can u say it in teaspoons, not in caps xD

THANK YOU!!! :invasion:

-----Btw----
Here's 2 pics of my tube.
So I used my old tube, with some items that I got from my nano filter (I don't use them) [it's optional].
dsc04125.jpg

dsc04126a.jpg

the check valve is to stop water from being sucked back in(vacuum doesnt know above or below)by vacuum and to keep any of the brewing particles from clogging the stone and getting into the tank.

use a ceramic or wood stone OR a powerhead to dispense the mixture into the tank.

I just make mine with this recipe
DIY Yeast CO2 - The Planted Tank

the check valve is to stop water from being sucked back in(vacuum doesnt know above or below)by vacuum and to keep any of the brewing particles from clogging the stone and getting into the tank.

use a ceramic or wood stone OR a powerhead to dispense the mixture into the tank.

I just make mine with this recipe
DIY Yeast CO2 - The Planted Tank
Oh, ye I know.
But I heard that without checkvalve you should put the bottle higher than your tank so nothing comes out or goes in. That's what I heard though.

As on the picture I'll use that kind of splitting thing :)

something i would highly recommend is an extra jug to catch any of the mix that might get out of the first bottle... its not a must, but its really something to think about. if that stuff gets in your tank, it wouldnt be good... id say any lfs would carry a check valve... what can happen is the bottle will swell as it builds up pressure... if it loses that pressure, it can suck water back in, then spit it back out, its just best to have a check valve... and make sure you seal everything up real good and test it for leaks

something i would highly recommend is an extra jug to catch any of the mix that might get out of the first bottle... its not a must, but its really something to think about. if that stuff gets in your tank, it wouldnt be good... id say any lfs would carry a check valve... what can happen is the bottle will swell as it builds up pressure... if it loses that pressure, it can suck water back in, then spit it back out, its just best to have a check valve... and make sure you seal everything up real good and test it for leaks

Ye that's the point I was worried about, that's why the guy on tutorial said you need to put the bottle higher than the aquarium. If it sucks water out it won't reach the bottle, the pressure won't be strong enough on a soda bottle to suck it all to the top ;)
If that's not true, I'll be able to find out (hopefully not!):!:

Owkay :D
Problem #2

After my first attempt of making the CO2 generator, (within an hour or 2) It started to make bubbles ONLY when I shoke the bottle. (but like 1 bubble every 5 seconds or so)
I thought I did something wrong, I waited another hour. Then decided to start all over again.

Now 1 hour passed, and no bubbles??

Do I have to wait longer... The yeast is good, I used it 1st time. And I have no leaks.

I use only crystal/white sugar and dry yeast (1 teaspoon).

Problem solved********
It worked, when I was sleeping, woke me up, stupid thing xD

But atleast it works now.
It needs some time to activate.
Not it's 1 bubble every 3-5 seconds.

Sounds like you didn't activate or "proof" the yeast when you made it.
It will eventually get going on it's own if it is still good but can take some time as you noticed.

i added baking soda to my diy mix.... id read that it would keep the mix from becoming too acidic and killing the yeast... not sure if there's any truth to that or not, but mine ran steady for about 2 weeks

I noticed I made another mistake.
Well I only have a 5 gallon tank.
And a 1.5litre bottle with like 1 1/2 tsp yeast and lot's of sugar... My fish are drunk I think, and breathing heavy, but they don't flow up, but they are a bit inactive :)

Sounds like they are getting to much CO2 take the line out until they start acting normal. Some people take out the line at night so the CO2 don't build up and kill the fish.

Sorry to bother again. (I think I get too much bubbles, see my vid:
)
I need a fast answer,
I want to make a new DIY co2 but with a smaller bottle.
Becouse I have none laying around atm I want to use a small glass bottle.
Is this safe?
It's not like I'll close the bottle off that it will explode...

can you hook the co2 line in to your filter? i had co2 on one of my tanks for a while and my internal filter like that had a muffler line that i ended up hooking the co2 to, it dispersed it in to lots of fine microbubbles which really did alot of benefit to the plants

can you hook the co2 line in to your filter? i had co2 on one of my tanks for a while and my internal filter like that had a muffler line that i ended up hooking the co2 to, it dispersed it in to lots of fine microbubbles which really did alot of benefit to the plants

I don't think so, if u want to see my filter, name is: Dennerle nano eckfilter (German stuff)

Anyways, do you think to make DIY co2 in a glass bottle? ;)

Hey there
I added a bit more yeast today and a beautiful CO2 effect ^^
Just wanted to post a pic
Everything is fine, haven't bought the check valve yet.
Anyways ^^ the plants are growing good

dsc04146l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom