DIY co2, pH, and guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
Amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
temp 79f
planted tank (14 different plants)

1M, 2f guppies
1m black molly
5 cherry barbs
2 adf's

20g running since Xmas.

pH before diy co2 was 7. I setup up (2) 2L co2 generators (sugar&yeast) and bubble counter diffused into hob intake on Thursday. Friday I checked the pH again and it was down from 7 to between 6 and 6.2 hard to tell. So I took off a 2L bottle and had 1 run from last night. I just checked and pH is 6.6

Reason I'm looking for help is 1 of my guppies aborted (not sure when she is/was due) and I'm chalking it up to the pH swing. Would you agree?

Also, is there anyway to control pH without a drop checker which I don't have or a controller? Should I disconnect the co2 setup at night and let it bleed off into the atmosphere? then hook 1 bottle up for daytime?

And will the pH rise back to normal without doing wc's?

If anymore info is needed please ask.

I run a powerade bottle for mine with an airline valve on it to regulate the flow somewhat.

If you are concerned about excessive (and unused) CO2 at night, you could run an air pump (or additional filter) connected to a timer that comes on after the lights go out. This should gass out any existing CO2.

Back
Top Bottom