DIY Water changer/gravel vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read numerous places (not on AA) about making a water changer/vacuum out of a garden hose and just buying the faucet attachments. Some comments have been that it may not be safe/healthy for the fish, etc. Obviously, people are doing it because its cheaper. Its not something I'd want to try, but I'm curious about what you all think of the idea.:confused:

you can go to petsmart and buy a replacement faucet valve thing for an aqueon water changer, then just get the appropriate sized vinyl tubing from home depot and if you want, get a vac tube attachment or use an old one you have. you're probably at like half the cost that way.

Why not just buy a cheap fish tank gravel siphon? I can pick up one for $6 locally.

I already have one of those. I was just asking for opinions on using a garden hose because some people have suggested it and some people have questioned whether or not it would be a good idea.

Well, a lot of hoses are labeled drinking water safe, so I don't see any reason why those wouldn't be just fine

I use a water hose when I do water changes... I dont use a faucet adapter anymore, I just use the spigot outside my basement door to refill... while I'm draining, I just run the hose out in the yard. Grass loves the nutrients when I do water changes in my planted tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom