do all loaches eat snails? what about corycats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to add a school of bottom dwellers either cory or loaches. I don't want my snails to get eaten up though.

I like the loach better, but I hear / read they eat snails. Do all loaches eat sails?

Would corycats do the same?

Yes all loaches eat snails I think especially clowns I have some corys with snails and they never bother them

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have six different types of corys and no snail eaters. My crayfish is a snail eating machine.

Like stated, corys do not eat snails. But not all loaches eat snails. Kuhli loaches don't. They do like to burrow though, so they wouldn't be the best idea if you had a dirted tank. I believe Hill stream loaches and Burmese rosy loaches (nano) also do not eat snails. All other loaches that I can think off will eat snails (clown loaches, yoyo loaches, zebra loaches, angelicus botia loaches, skunk botia, dwarf chain loaches, etc).

I have a fully grown 6 inch yoyo loach. I've kept him with mystery snails and nerites. He could honestly care less about them. The only snails he goes after are the nuisance snails. You could give it a try and see what happens.

Oh yes, that's what I meant! When I said snails I meant tiny ones like MTS, pond/bladder snails, and ramshorns. I haven't ever experienced anything killing and eating large snails like mysteries or nerites. My assassin snail doesn't even bother them.

Yoyo loaches will take care of the problem. Just keep in mind they like to be in groups of 3 or more.

My zebra loaches would not leave my mystery snails alone. Had to move the snails to another tank

Back
Top Bottom