Do amano shrimp shed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to know if it was eaten or just hiding.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_145913.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_145913.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 155
  • ForumRunner_20110518_145934.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_145934.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 149
I think all shrimps do. I just got my amano shrimp from HN1 and SM today. I want to find out as well.

I have never housed shrimp before... so I am very new to the world of shrimp. I also want to know if it is a good or a bad thing if they shed?

It is healthy. They have to molt to grow.

Often other shrimp will eat the shells after molting as well. It is a bit macabre, but it is a great source of calcium, and normal behavior.

Should I just leave the 'molt' in the tank? (I only have one shrimp right now... but 10 in the mail) :)

My poor shrimp that are in the mail.... I don't think the company did one day shipping. Will they make it if it takes a few days to get to my house?

sure, they will most likely be fine... especially with the mild weather right now.

Thanks for the positive feed back. It is a little cool here right now (~50 f) so I will just have to wait and see :(

They will still most likely be fine. I am sure whoever shipped them put them in an insulated shipping container.

Even if they don't all make it, it will be nice to have some more. I like to watch them eat the algae. They were also only 2$ a shrimp

Wow that is a great price on Amanos. I think they will be fine. Best of luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom