Do bettas NEED surface access?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical Aquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I'm an experienced fish keeper, and always believed that bettas do need access to the surface in order to reach oxygen for the labyrinth organ.

However, I've heard that this is not true that they can live without surface access to air.

Can someone clarify this? Any articles online?

Thanks!

IMO I do not believe so.

Labyrinth fish come to the top for air if the water is unsuitable to breathe.

I have 3 Bettas and none of them go to the surface except to eat.

Caleb

Huh, I'm not sure....

I have had multiple bettas they all come up for air every couple minutes, and my water parameters are always in check, as I have a thickly planted tank....

I guess my Bettas are odd ;)

From what I can find they do need to go to the surface as per the requirement of their labyrinth organ.

Caleb

I don't know the answer to this, actually. I always heard the same thing and never questioned it. I'm going to go search Web of Science and see if any research has been done. (And if there hasn't, I'm going to ask you for permission to use that idea for a research project :lol: )

What I will say is that, for practical purposes, ALL fish need surface access. You'd have to have a pretty convoluted setup to get proper gas exchange otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom