do dwarf gourami eat small fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mottoman216

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i've recently added some ember tetras into my tank 6 of them in total. 2 were small fry the other 3 are larger. I placed them into the tank 2 days ago and immediately my female dwarf gourami appeared to be interested in the fry and starts to chasing them around.

Woke up today and the 2 smallest of the fry have disappeared. checked the entire tank, decor, and filters. they are no where to be found.

do you think my dwarf gourami ate them? shes the only thing in this tank that might be capable of eating them judging by mouth size.

Tank Mates

1 female blue neon Dwarf Gourami
11 various Corydoras
6 white skirt tetras
6 x-ray tetras
6 green platys
3 nerite snails
2 otocinclus
and now 3 ember tetra's fry down from 5.

water parameters are always 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and very little nitrate. change 50% water every week.

and now 3 ember tetra fry down from 5.

i've recently added some ember tetras into my tank 6 of them in total. 2 were small fry the other 3 are larger. I placed them into the tank 2 days ago and immediately my female dwarf gourami appeared to be interested in the fry and starts to chasing them around.

Woke up today and the 2 smallest of the fry have disappeared. checked the entire tank, decor, and filters. they are no where to be found.

do you think my dwarf gourami ate them? shes the only thing in this tank that might be capable of eating them judging by mouth size.

Tank Mates

1 female blue neon Dwarf Gourami
11 various Corydoras
6 white skirt tetras
6 x-ray tetras
6 green platys
3 nerite snails
2 otocinclus
and now 3 ember tetra's fry down from 5.

water parameters are always 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and very little nitrate. change 50% water every week.

and now 3 ember tetra fry down from 5.

Typically if it can fit in a fish's mouth, they will eat it. Maybe go for larger ember tetras next time. Honestly they don't seem to really do well with larger fish and you seem to have some larger more active fish that the embers could struggle to compete with.

Back
Top Bottom