Do guppies have a dominate male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 9 guppies but one of the males is much brighter and has a longer back fin than the rest so I started to wonder if they have some sort of "pecking order". Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I'm assuming they do. All fish do to some extent. My tetras seem to pick on each other sometimes. My bf recently got a small tank and he has 1 platy and tried to get 3 guppies and one of them started to attack the platy then the others followed... So he must of been the leader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some seem to have a dominant personality, and others don't. They DO seem to copy each other, as Chels said. What one does, the others follow suite! And sometimes a group of guppies will all pick on one particular guppy. I have no idea why. Also, male guppies are always thinking about breeding, so will "bug" other males if no females are available. I've stopped keeping guppies because of their health issues (modern breeding for profit) and because of the "group beating up" thing. I was ending up playing musical guppies, constantly having to remove the more outgoing, aggressive ones and putting them into another tank so they wouldn't bug each other literally to death.

Back
Top Bottom