Do I dare... get a dwarf gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at PetSmart over lunch getting some bloodworms for my peacock gudgeons and I saw many gouramis - flame, blue, dwarf, kissing, honey... I about died. :blink: My LFS doesn't really carry them because he says they are prone to so many problems.

I finally got to see the dwarfs up-close and personal. They are marked insanely cheap - like $2 or so.

I want one so bad. Am I just setting myself up for heartache? Are they on sale because of the poor quality?

I know your tank is relatively new so I'm gonna say wait till its established, but I'm a novice myself!
I bought 2 dg's when my tank was 3 months old, one died about 3 weeks later really suddenly, no idea why, the other one lasted about another month then went a weird brown colour and died a day or 2 later. That was at the same time that most of my community was wiped out by an unknown bug of some sort :-(
I've since found out about dg disease, so I'd be really reluctant to get another.
That's just my personal experience though, aside from that I know very little about them!

Yes, I'm only about a month into my tank, and it's cycled and about 80% stocked according to AqAdvisor.

I don't mind waiting...but how long would you advice? A few weeks? Months?

Thanks for your input. Where did you get yours?

I personally would treat them like neon tetras and wait till 6 months.
I'm in the UK, and lucky enough to live just 5 mins drive from a LFS that was voted top in a fish keeping magazine... Although they do sometimes give me advice that goes against everything I read here!
Good luck if you do get some, but I hope someone who knows more on them will give you their input :)

Cos they're sensitive fish apparently, I read it on here that they need a 6 month established tank, although I've bought 7 when my tank had just finished cycling and they lasted quite well, at least until my first botch up!

I love the look of dwarf gourami's but with all the disease issues I wouldn't risk that georgeous tank of your, especially not with your gudgeons. If you really wanted a dwarf gourami I'd look for a Honey dwarf gourami, they also come in Sunset and Golden Honey color varieties.

Thanks all. The LFS did have honeys, but he didn't want to just sell me one - he wanted to sell me them as a pair - a male and a female.

All signs seem to point to 'no' at this point for me an a dwarf gourami. I about died when I saw them though - they are so beautiful.

I do have a quarantine tank I can put it in for awhile. Don't know if that would help.

Can you tell how bad I want one? :D

I personally would treat them like neon tetras and wait till 6 months.

Seriously? They're the only fish my husband has requested and I promised we would get them after my tank has finished its "I have a stupid owner that didn't look into cycling and has many guppies" cycle. I don't think I can wait 6 months to get some new fish...

Thanks all. The LFS did have honeys, but he didn't want to just sell me one - he wanted to sell me them as a pair - a male and a female.

All signs seem to point to 'no' at this point for me an a dwarf gourami. I about died when I saw them though - they are so beautiful.

Thats so irritating but I know they do it because everyone wants to buy the males and stores get stuck with females that no one wants. I had to buy my Rachovii killi's that way.

I was at PetSmart over lunch getting some bloodworms for my peacock gudgeons and I saw many gouramis - flame, blue, dwarf, kissing, honey... I about died. :blink: My LFS doesn't really carry them because he says they are prone to so many problems.

I finally got to see the dwarfs up-close and personal. They are marked insanely cheap - like $2 or so.

I want one so bad. Am I just setting myself up for heartache? Are they on sale because of the poor quality?

I am fairly novice at fish keeping but had gouramis in past (dwarf, blue and kissing) and have 2 dwarf right now, one red flame, one powder blue. I love them! I got them at Petsmart but I'm in Canada, maybe our stock are coming from a different region, we've had them a couple months and they are running the tank, very healthy, though a bit aggressive at times. But the stuff I've read lately says the other (non-dwarf) gourami are hardier, and they are equally attractive! My kissing gourami used to eat out of my hand. I wish I could get another one but they seem hard to find now. Maybe once we get a bigger tank....

I have one dwarf gourami and he went in the tank as soon as the cycle was complete which didnt take long as i used seeded filter media. Hes done great no problems with him whatsoever. I just picked the most active healthy looking boy. I think get one and just quarantine him i know they have a bad rep but i love them

Seriously this is going to sound strange but at such a bargain price I would risk it they are gorgeous fish I had one I put into a community tank relatively new with some guppies and angel fish, the only reason he moved on was he got stuck between the filter an the glass and at $15-$20 here I just haven't afforded to replace him, but if I could get them for $2.00 I would buy 5

Seriously? They're the only fish my husband has requested and I promised we would get them after my tank has finished its "I have a stupid owner that didn't look into cycling and has many guppies" cycle. I don't think I can wait 6 months to get some new fish...

Yeah, that sounded weird to me, too. As long as you're cycled, I thought it was OK to add fish. I've never heard of tetras needing a longer wait time.

Thats so irritating but I know they do it because everyone wants to buy the males and stores get stuck with females that no one wants. I had to buy my Rachovii killi's that way.

I don't blame him, because honestly, that's what I was going to do.

I am fairly novice at fish keeping but had gouramis in past (dwarf, blue and kissing) and have 2 dwarf right now, one red flame, one powder blue. I love them! I got them at Petsmart but I'm in Canada, maybe our stock are coming from a different region, we've had them a couple months and they are running the tank, very healthy, though a bit aggressive at times. But the stuff I've read lately says the other (non-dwarf) gourami are hardier, and they are equally attractive! My kissing gourami used to eat out of my hand. I wish I could get another one but they seem hard to find now. Maybe once we get a bigger tank....

Thanks for the good report!

I have one dwarf gourami and he went in the tank as soon as the cycle was complete which didnt take long as i used seeded filter media. Hes done great no problems with him whatsoever. I just picked the most active healthy looking boy. I think get one and just quarantine him i know they have a bad rep but i love them

I want one really, really bad. Seeing them today, lots of them and different kinds, just made me want them more.

Seriously this is going to sound strange but at such a bargain price I would risk it they are gorgeous fish I had one I put into a community tank relatively new with some guppies and angel fish, the only reason he moved on was he got stuck between the filter an the glass and at $15-$20 here I just haven't afforded to replace him, but if I could get them for $2.00 I would buy 5

Yeah, they were super cheap. On sale even, which makes me wonder why they were on sale. :hide: I have a spare tank that's cycled... I mean, a life in there would be better than a life at PetSmart, right? I could watch him...make sure he's not sick, and then when all is clear, move him over...

If you do get one, I would QT it for about a month, to make sure it is not sick. I know what you mean, though, every time I go to the store It takes everything in me not to buy a dwarf gourami. They look so awesome.........I don't have a QT tank, though, so for me it is just asking for trouble.

gouramis

I say go for it. I'm a relative newbie and have kept 4 different gouramis (2 honey, one 3-spot blue, 1 pearl) all doing well going on 7 months now.

I don't keep any cichlids except a single german blue ram, so I am not sure if there are any compatibility issues.

If you do get one, I would QT it for about a month, to make sure it is not sick. I know what you mean, though, every time I go to the store It takes everything in me not to buy a dwarf gourami. They look so awesome.........I don't have a QT tank, though, so for me it is just asking for trouble.

I can QT as long as needed. I want one bad enough to try it. Would two be pushing my luck?

I say go for it. I'm a relative newbie and have kept 4 different gouramis (2 honey, one 3-spot blue, 1 pearl) all doing well going on 7 months now.

I don't keep any cichlids except a single german blue ram, so I am not sure if there are any compatibility issues.

I don't have any cichlids, just guppies, tetras and two peacock gudgeons.

I can QT as long as needed. I want one bad enough to try it. Would two be pushing my luck?

I would just stick with one. Get the healthiest looking one there. If you get two, there is a chance you could get 1 healthy one and 1 sick one and both die because the disease was spread.

True, but if one of them was sick and they were in the same tank together, wouldn't they both be sick?

Back
Top Bottom