Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Do I have too many fish in my aquarium?

Hi all, new member here looking for advice. I've had fish in the past, but it has been a very long time since then and I may be rusty on my knowledge. I just recently set up a new 20 gallon fresh water tank. Things have been just fine but I am wondering if I am at, over, or getting close to capacity. I just couldn't seem to find a straight answer online. The store I buy my fish as do know what I have in here so I'm hoping they aren't just trying to make money on me and I'm overstocking my tank. So here I am to double check. So, as of today, I have 5 mollies, 2 gourami's, 2 cory's, 4 snails, and 1 African dwarf frog. How am I doing capacity wise?

Old 02-24-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm still new to the aquarium thing, but from what I've heard and been told at the stores I get my aquarium supplies and fish from, I think you are just fine where you are at. I don't know that I would add too many more though. But like I said, I'm still new.. so I'm not 100% sure on that. I hope someone is able to give you more expert advice than I am able to.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMFletch View Post
Hi all, new member here looking for advice. I've had fish in the past, but it has been a very long time since then and I may be rusty on my knowledge. I just recently set up a new 20 gallon fresh water tank. Things have been just fine but I am wondering if I am at, over, or getting close to capacity. I just couldn't seem to find a straight answer online. The store I buy my fish as do know what I have in here so I'm hoping they aren't just trying to make money on me and I'm overstocking my tank. So here I am to double check. So, as of today, I have 5 mollies, 2 gourami's, 2 cory's, 4 snails, and 1 African dwarf frog. How am I doing capacity wise?
The mollies, corydoras, and snails are fine.
What kind of gouramis? If they are honey gouramis then you may be ok. If dwarf gourami then I'd be a little concerned with all the other tank inhabitants. But if they are blue or gold gouramis then they will not work in that tank.

As for the frog. I really don't know anything about those so I can't advise there.

I will say corydoras do best in larger school 5 or more. But with your current stocking you might not have room.

Also on the mollies if they are sailfin mollies I believe they get too big for that tank also. But again getting a little out of my experience there.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

5 mollies will give you 20 mollies in a couple months if your tank has alot of decorations/plants so be careful on that and I also agree with the previous post that corydoras should be in larger schools, but at the same time when I got my corydoras I got 6 and 5 died within a couple months, 2 years later 1 is still kicking. I'm not sure if you said anything about the timetable in which u got these fish but if you got them all at once be careful you dont give ur tank a mini cycle.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you all for the advice so far. I know the cory's should be in a bigger group but they only had the two of this coloration. Actually, they didnt a group in any colors so I would have had to get a mix. Not really a bad thing, but I was trying to get the same colors...just my OCD lol. The mollies I know will breed easy, a lot of the fry will get eaten though right? Any that grow out some I can give away I suppose. The gourami's are dwarf gourami's i believe, one is blue one is blue and orange stripy. Why would that be bad? I haven't heard that before. Please do let me know. I may have to rethink this setup... how does one change your stock though, how do you "rehome" the fish? (just something for me to keep in mind). Thanks again for the replies!
Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMFletch View Post
Thank you all for the advice so far. I know the cory's should be in a bigger group but they only had the two of this coloration. Actually, they didnt a group in any colors so I would have had to get a mix. Not really a bad thing, but I was trying to get the same colors...just my OCD lol. The mollies I know will breed easy, a lot of the fry will get eaten though right? Any that grow out some I can give away I suppose. The gourami's are dwarf gourami's i believe, one is blue one is blue and orange stripy. Why would that be bad? I haven't heard that before. Please do let me know. I may have to rethink this setup... how does one change your stock though, how do you "rehome" the fish? (just something for me to keep in mind). Thanks again for the replies!
In my experience dwarf gouramis can get stressed out by other fish and end up causing themselves problems. I've never been able to keep them in a community tank myself.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fish View Post
In my experience dwarf gouramis can get stressed out by other fish and end up causing themselves problems. I've never been able to keep them in a community tank myself.
Same have tried it multiple times only to get the same results. Too fragile imo

Tags
aquarium, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com