Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do I need a friend for my two Glass Catfish?

One day I bought three Glass Catfish, because I've read they like to be in threes. But some time later one of them died and for last few months there were only two of them, and I didn't have the room for a third one. But recently I've upgraded the tank size and so I think there's place for one more, but the question is-- do I really need to get one? After all those month just the two of them won't they just stick to themselves and the third one end-up as an outcast? What do you reckon?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glass Cats do better with bigger schools. I would grab a few more!!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I havent ever had glasscats, but I did want them. Did some research and EVERY site said they should be in groups of at least 5 and more like 8 to be safe. I have read that they can die off slowly if you have less then 5. I decided against them beacuse they seem so fushy. I also read they need special food, like bloodworms or other live foods.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Absolutely! I wouldn't keep glass cats in a school less than 5-6. Bigger is always better.
You'll see an immediate difference in the behaviour of your cats when you up the schools. They are some of the tightest schoolers and most social fish I've kept.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, looks like I'm going to buy one after all
I'd read "three minimum" that's why I bought three in the first place, but one of them was a little of an outcast (the one that died) and always on the different side of the tank. I'm afraid that this may happen again, and I think that's why I've waited so long with getting another one...

I'm not sure whether there's room for another 3 or 4 though-- I've updated the profile tank list, so please have a look and tell me what you think!

Tags
catfish, glass, glass catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com