Do I need an airstone in my five gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 female guppies in there right now, but two of them are pregnant. So I will have fry soon. Right now I just have a hob filter...

When my guppies bread on my 29 gallon I put them in a plastic container inside the tank with an airstone but I still had to change water every week. Now they are about 6 months old and are inside the 29 and they are really healthy and also they are starting to breed amongst each other now.

I have a ten gallon grow out tank ready... I just new to know if you think I need an airstone.

maxwellag said:
I have a ten gallon grow out tank ready... I just new to know if you think I need an airstone.

IMO it can't hurt anything! Personally I have an airstone in all my tanks even in 5 g with my betta, just make sure it's not too powerful get one for 10 g tank and I think it will work great! :)

Tigroscr said:
IMO it can't hurt anything! Personally I have an airstone in all my tanks even in 5 g with my betta, just make sure it's not too powerful get one for 10 g tank and I think it will work great! :)

Ok, ill get the things I need next time im at my lfs. Would an air pump that came with a one gallon work?? Or is it not powerful enough?

maxwellag said:
Ok, ill get the things I need next time im at my lfs. Would an air pump that came with a one gallon work?? Or is it not powerful enough?

Not sure if you already had the air pump you could give it a try and see. if not you can buy them relatively inexpensive I think my last one I bought was for a tank up to 70 gallons and was less than $30. :)

Be sure that you have a pre-filter over your hob or a sponge filter so it won't suck up the fry. The airstone is up to you.:fish2:

Brandonaki360 said:
Be sure that you have a pre-filter over your hob or a sponge filter so it won't suck up the fry. The airstone is up to you.:fish2:

Ya I have one. Just put it on last night...

I will probably get an airstone in a while, but right now I don't have enough money. I have to wait for a few more weeks of allowance.

I would recommend getting one. Most 5 Gallon HOB filter's I've seen have no virtually no water movement. I have a 5 Gallon and was having a problem cycling until I installed an airstone.

5x5 said:
I would recommend getting one. Most 5 Gallon HOB filter's I've seen have no virtually no water movement. I have a 5 Gallon and was having a problem cycling until I installed an airstone.

The filter I have on mine is for a ten gallon and pumps ninety gallons per hour.

The issue is water movement. If your filter causes enoush surface disturbance to properly airate the water, then it is not necessary. I do not run on in my 5 gallon because the filter mixes oxygen into the water just fine. Of course, it wouldn't hurt. But, it does speed up algae growth IME.

Back
Top Bottom