Do I need anymore fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle.Keith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29g planted tank with
1x Honey Gourami
8x Neon tetras
5x Green emerald corys
1x Nerite Snail
1x Ghost shrimp that won't die

Do I need anything else?

Gourami need different tank requirements to both tetra and corydoras who share similar tank specs.
(The main reason I have no gourami!)
Slow waters with slow peaceful species. Certainly not tetra.

Everything dies eventually..........aged and peacefully or struggling with intolerable conditions.

Like J.Mcpeak said, I probably would move the gourami to a different tank. I think for now you should refrain from adding new fish. I'm sure certain species would be okay, but make sure they work in your tank settings.

The more neons, the better. I have 18 and I'm going to add more; they look so much better in a bigger school and are less stressed!

The more neons, the better. I have 18 and I'm going to add more; they look so much better in a bigger school and are less stressed!

Bingo!
At least one person gets it!
Yeah, I'm a big fan of shoals of shoaling fish. Proper sizes too.
Same for any tetra, get lots, appreciate the show.

Every fish that requires "at least 5 (or 6)" double it or more.
Your fish will love you for it.

Gourami need different tank requirements to both tetra and corydoras who share similar tank specs.
(The main reason I have no gourami!)
Slow waters with slow peaceful species. Certainly not tetra.

Everything dies eventually..........aged and peacefully or struggling with intolerable conditions.

So what should I do? Should I get a new tank? Cause the gourami seems to be doing fine in the low flow part of the tank

If hiding in the corner is doing fine......
(Sounds a bit mean) blunt but effective.
But then I can't see the fish and how it behaves day to day.

Tetra appreciate very fast water, gourami quite the opposite. Impossible to replicate both conditions in a small tank, actually quite hard in any tank, I can't just say, blehhhh get a new tank.......
New set ups normally are chunks of cash, space, inconvenient to non fish keepers etc.

If you can get away with it get several tanks! (That's my bad advice, sorry)
That's how I ended up with more than one tank, too many fish!
Gourami make nice additions to planted tanks, I actually really want some, T. leeri I think it is, stunning fish. So I can't say get rid of the fish.........

If hiding in the corner is doing fine......
(Sounds a bit mean) blunt but effective.
But then I can't see the fish and how it behaves day to day.

Tetra appreciate very fast water, gourami quite the opposite. Impossible to replicate both conditions in a small tank, actually quite hard in any tank, I can't just say, blehhhh get a new tank.......
New set ups normally are chunks of cash, space, inconvenient to non fish keepers etc.

If you can get away with it get several tanks! (That's my bad advice, sorry)
That's how I ended up with more than one tank, too many fish!
Gourami make nice additions to planted tanks, I actually really want some, T. leeri I think it is, stunning fish. So I can't say get rid of the fish.........

I mean, its not like hes stuck in the back inches of the tank, hes all over the place, but that's usually where he just floats around.

Lol @ 1 ghost shrimp that won't die ??

I had gouramis in a fast flow tank & they weren't happy. They kept getting ulcers through stress & it's not a pretty sight. One of them got a massive lump on it's side & one day I looked in the tank & there was a huge hole where the lump was. Some of them got ulcers in the gills & on their faces & ugh yeah, not nice, I don't like thinking about it.

I'd move the gourami to another tank if you can/want to or give it to a pet shop. They don't like being on their own either so if you do put your gourami in another tank then definitely get more, usually​ a ratio of 2 females to 1 male.

All the best ?

Lol @ 1 ghost shrimp that won't die [emoji51][emoji23]

I had gouramis in a fast flow tank & they weren't happy. They kept getting ulcers through stress & it's not a pretty sight. One of them got a massive lump on it's side & one day I looked in the tank & there was a huge hole where the lump was. Some of them got ulcers in the gills & on their faces & ugh yeah, not nice, I don't like thinking about it.

I'd move the gourami to another tank if you can/want to or give it to a pet shop. They don't like being on their own either so if you do put your gourami in another tank then definitely get more, usually​ a ratio of 2 females to 1 male.

All the best [emoji41]

What would you recommend for a solution?

A solution to what? Your undying shrimp, the gourami or if you need more fish? ?
That's not meant to sound mean! I'm just not sure what I'm meant to be answering ?

Oh sorry [emoji23] would you get a new tank for the gourami? If so what size and stocking?

Oh I see! Okay no problem!

I loooooove gouramis, so I personally would set up a new tank. They need about 60 litres MINIMUM, so I'd double that & have a nice little group.

Honey gouramis should be kept in groups of not more than one male and is compatible with Altum Angelfish, Angelfish, Beckford Pencilfish, Black Phantom Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Chinese Algae Eater, Corydoras Catfish, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, Endlers Livebearer, Glass Catfish, Glass Fish, Glowlight Tetra, Guppy, Harlequin Rasbora, Kuhli Loach, Neon Tetra, Otto Catfish, Pristella Tetra, Ram Cichlid, Red Phantom Tetra, White Cloud Mountain Minnow. My source: http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/compatibility/index.asp

I'd put the snail & shrimp in there too & maybe get some more of them, or add some slow river fish that like the same conditions.

Just my personal opinion. I so desperately want some gouramis but my flow is too fast ?

Oh I see! Okay no problem!

I loooooove gouramis, so I personally would set up a new tank. They need about 60 litres MINIMUM, so I'd double that & have a nice little group.

Honey gouramis should be kept in groups of not more than one male and is compatible with Altum Angelfish, Angelfish, Beckford Pencilfish, Black Phantom Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Chinese Algae Eater, Corydoras Catfish, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, Endlers Livebearer, Glass Catfish, Glass Fish, Glowlight Tetra, Guppy, Harlequin Rasbora, Kuhli Loach, Neon Tetra, Otto Catfish, Pristella Tetra, Ram Cichlid, Red Phantom Tetra, White Cloud Mountain Minnow. My source: http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/compatibility/index.asp

I'd put the snail & shrimp in there too & maybe get some more of them, or add some slow river fish that like the same conditions.

Just my personal opinion. I so desperately want some gouramis but my flow is too fast [emoji24]

Would a planted 10 gallon with ottos and shrimp work?

The plants yes, they like it heavily planted. The size & tank mates not so much. 10 US gallons is only 45 litres & a pair need 60 litres minimum. Also Otto's like moderate flow & that'd probably be too much for the gouramis :(

The plants yes, they like it heavily planted. The size & tank mates not so much. 10 US gallons is only 45 litres & a pair need 60 litres minimum. Also Otto's like moderate flow & that'd probably be too much for the gouramis :(

Well I only have one gourami, also, the three ottos I have in my low flow betta tank are doing just fine, is it different with every fish?

Wait do you have a betta too? If so bettas & gouramis aren't compatible. I've heard of people keeping bettas & ottos in the same tank but I've no experience on that so I don't really want to guess & give you the wrong answer.
Either way, the ottos need 20 gallons & the gouramis would need about 15 gallons minimum.

Oh gotcha, do you have the money/space for a 20 gallon? If you do I'd highly suggest upgrading, your ottos will be happier & you can get your gourami some buddies :)

Oh gotcha, do you have the money/space for a 20 gallon? If you do I'd highly suggest upgrading, your ottos will be happier & you can get your gourami some buddies :)

Well trying to save space and money, the gourami is only about 2.5 inches so a 10g actually seems pretty nice for him

Back
Top Bottom