Do I need these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
The lfs recommended tap water treating chemicals. i thought my water was ok. I dont think i need it, but i want different views.

depends on wethier or not you have chloine or chlorimides in your tap water..
If you have well water for tap water you most likely dont need them..
If you have chlorine in your water you will need dechlorinator if you dont let the water gas out ie. sit..
If you have chlorimide water.. ammonia and chlorine together... you will need prime or another product that can detoxify that chemical..
most likely the tap water conditioner is going to be needed...

You definitely need a good dechlorinater if you are on city water. I am on a community well, and I still use a water conditioner just incase. Other than that, you don't need any other chemicals for your water.
The crappy lfs in my town tried to sell me some ammonia eating chemical, and ph adjusters. I wouldn't fool around that junk. They create more problems than they solve.

Some community well systems are built with chlorine gas injection to help destroy DOC's so I would find out if that is the case.. I lived with well water and never used dechlorinator.. alot of members are still using degassing to eliminate chlorine only letting the water sit out over 24 hours and running an airstone helps.. PH adjustment chemicals are extremely bad news..

Nearly all cities and municipalities add chlorine or chloramine to the drinking water as a disinfectant. Water conditioners safely inactivate these fish poisons. Even if I was using my own private well water, I would still use a water conditioner that removes metals like lead and copper, which often leaches out of the plumbing.

QTOFFER said:
Even if I was using my own private well water, I would still use a water conditioner that removes metals like lead and copper, which often leaches out of the plumbing.

Ack! definatley time to replace the plumbing.. It would be good to know what kind of pipes you have though.. If you know you have copper and or galvanized steel pipes then yes a conditioner for that would be good..
by the way what is out there for that?
I had pvc plastic plumbing when I didnt use dechlor by the way..

mainly it depends on what type of water you have. When i had well water, i never used any chemicals.... but now that i live in the city , i use stuff that removes chlorine and chloranimines.

All depends on what is in your water to begin with.

I'm on a well, and I have a spigot right off teh well, before it goes to my water softner, etc. that I use for filling the pool and watering the lawn. Now I use it for my aquarium too, especially since I want to get a big tank and setup a mimic of the springs that are a few miles away - and my well comes from the same aquifer.

Back
Top Bottom