do I need to shim my stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 135 gallon on tile floor. The water level is even and my stand is level but there is about a foot long area on the front left where I can slide a card between the stand and tank. There is no gap anywhere between the stand and the floor. Do I need to shim?

sounds like the top of the stand is warped. i would shim the tank but wait for other ideas before you do that.

The odds of the tile being flat and level are next to zero. I would imagine there is a high or low spot and the stand is out of square due to the weight and uneven surface.

I would pick up some of those plastic door/window shims at the hardware store and shim it with them. The reason I would use the plastic (polymer) is because they won't expand and contract with humidity and temperature.

If you can slide a card between the stand and tank, that would mean the tank (in that area) is not supporting the weight, which means that other portions of the tank are over stressed. The water weight puts a lot of pressure on the glass/acrylic and if the tank is not evenly supported around the base you might end up with a really bad surprise one day.

Worse case scenario is that something touches the over-stressed glass with something one day and "pop", thar she blows.

Good question... not sure. The problem is that the weight is what is distorting the base on the uneven surface. Unless the weight is on it, you are not going to get the distortion.

My gut is telling me that if you shim the stand between the stand and the floor with the tank empty, you should be able to fill it and have the tank stand maintain its' integrity unless the floor moves. However, check the stand all around because tiles are uneven and the bed they sit in is rarely flat (one tile slightly higher than the next).

You need to be a little careful that you don't lift the stand though. The shims are generally wedge shaped and if you excerpt pressure as you shim you can lift the stand and then the previous shims will be loose.

But, we are also assuming the stand is square, which isn't a good bet. You might try to identify the vertical supports and, while the tank is full, take the support in the area where there is a gap and drive a shim between the floor and the bottom of the stand. Allow the wedge to move the support up until you can't get a card in any more. Then you can check the rest of the run and hopefully the new wedge won't have increased in height too much to allow a gap in a different area to form. That might be the easiest way.

Back
Top Bottom