Do I need to water change fry tank with moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caykuu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The question is pretty much the title! Do I still need to water change a 5 gallon guppy fry tank, since it has a pretty large mass of java moss in there to take in the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? It's a cycled tank. (also a sponge filter and airstone, just for the record)

A poster on another thread said that guppy fry release a hormone that inhibits growth, hence making water changes necessary... but this is the first I've heard of something like this; is it true?

I've heard that too actually; I've read of breeders doing 50%-100% water changes from every 12 hours to every 2-3 days because of this, not sure if they do need that much, but the breeder mentioned their fish seemed to grow a lot faster with more frequent water changes. They need to be fed often so that could compromise water quality more easily as well. I don't have experience myself though what I've read confirms what you've heard.

Well the hormone is only released when the tank is too small. The rule for fry is 2 fry per gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom